Sonar use with hardware?????

DJTonyMOMO

OK here is my question.

I was wondering if someone could lay out how I should hook all my equipment up.

This may seem dumb but just bare with me.

How do I hook the following equipment correctly:

Pentium III running Sonar XL
M-Audio 2496 Souncard (coming SOon)
Roland VS-880 Xpanded Track Recorder
Behringer MX2004A 16 Channel Mixer
Tannoy SBM Monitors
Alesis R-10 Monitor Amp
Sony PCM-R300 Dat Recorder
Harmon Kardon CD20 Dual Deck Burner
Denon DRW-580 Dual Tape Deck Recorder
Alesis Midiverb 4 Effects Unit
Korg Kaoss Pad (Coming Soon)
Alesis 3630 Compressor
Alesis EQ M-230 Equalizer
DigiTech Vocalist Workstation EX Processor (Coming Soon)
Behringer HA4600 Pro Headphone Amp
Furman PL-Plus Power Conditioner
3 - Shure Sm58 Dynamic Microphones
AKG Studio Mic
Roland XP-80 Synth Workstation
Roland Expanison Hip-Hop Card
Roland Expansion Techno Card
Zoom Sampleplayer ST-224 - Info Here
EMU MP-7 WorkStation - (Coming Soon)

I have a ton of more equipment but I will leave them out for now

Now how would YOU hook all this up?

Please give me a hand

Thanks

with a patch bay!

LOL, i haven't been to your web page for a while, i think i'll check you out again.

seriously though, you need a patch bay.

Hey hey Whats up man. Actually my web page is down I am in the middle of updated it.

So I need a patch bay??????

The reason a patch bay makes sense is that there is no "correct" way to hook up your equipment for all circumstances. Yes, there are wrong ways (you can tell those by the lack of sound ;) ), but for different circumstances you need to hook up your equipment differently, and a patch bay lets you "patch" equipment in and out of your signal path quickly. That way, when you need a compressor, you patch it in, but when you don't need it, you leave it out.

Patchbays aren't very expensive -- I like my cheapo Samson unit (about $100.) for home recording. What *does* get more pricey is all the darn cables. You can save a pile of money if you get friendly with a soldering iron and make your own.

As an alternative - a little unit that I've found to be VERY helpful in my studio is the Samson c-control. It handles multiple sources and outputs very nicely - goes a long way to making things play well together and organizing the studio.

-lee-

Thansk alot for the good explanation LAP.

I think i will go ahead and get one Thanks

Anyone else have any insight???????

DJ TonyM

I see some redundancies in your set up. I have a VS-880 too and I haven't recorded anything on it in a couple of years. I produce and DJ as well. The 880 is good for multitracked mix CDs but doesn't compare to Sonar and Wavelab on the puter for production. I also have a 3630 comp that is collecting dust as well. You might see some of my stuff on e-bay soon thanx to Sonar and the puter. Still, a patch bay might help, my $80 Behringer does the trick for me. It allows me to have easy access to all my gear which is eventually routed to, yes you guessed it, The Puter!

Back