Sonar to Pro Tools...

gorbyrun

Mad Scientist
I have a client who wants to transfer his tracks recorded at my studio to a Pro-Tools setup. I found that I can exsport in wave format at 24bit, but should I choose stereo, seperate L & R or mono. I'm assuming a .cwb or .bun file is out of the question. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with Sonar, but I've transferred tons of tracks from Cubase to Pro Tools. As a general rule, I transfer stereo tracks to stereo tracks and mono tracks to mono tracks. Pro Tools 5.3.x doesn't seem to care whether its a stereo or dual mono file.

I've heard that previous versions of Pro Tools need dual mono files for stereo, but I'm not sure if that's true or what versions that was- or even if it just converted conventional stereo files to dual mono.

Take care,
Chris

Good Tip Moskus, OMF should work. OR try exporting every wave one by one and then importing in PT. But the allignment is a headache. Good Luck!

Jeyan said:
Good Tip Moskus, OMF should work. OR try exporting every wave one by one and then importing in PT. But the allignment is a headache. Good Luck!

You can get away this this in two ways.... bouncing the tracks individually so they all start at 0:00:00, secondly you could record say a kick and snare pattern for a bar at the begining of each track and line them up using that.

Porter

Actually, I think OMF is a way to do the "export everything at 00:00:000" automaticly... nothing more. ;)

Good point about that OMF. Check with the Pro Tools studio to make sure they support OMF because not all versions of PT automatically have OMF support. It may be a package that they have to buy seperately.

Thanks guys... of course, as seems to be typical, I think I need a software upgrade. I am running Sonar 1--and I think I need Sonar 2 to do this. The OMF option does not appear in my exsport dialog box... but I'm not bitter.:) I mean I haven't had any other problems or anything :rolleyes:

I've only upgraded this program 5 times... I started with Cakewalk 6.

Thanks very much for the quick and helpfull responses.

Chris Shaeffer said:
Good point about that OMF. Check with the Pro Tools studio to make sure they support OMF because not all versions of PT automatically have OMF support. It may be a package that they have to buy seperately.

Aah, since the expert is here, I'd like to ask you couple question about it, Chris :)

1. Does Pro Tools Free (for Win98) has OMF export import capabilities ?

2. My friend's studio is about to implement Pro Tools as his new media (beside ADAT & SONAR in other machine), but he had no clue about the minimum spec & version available. Do you have any spec recommendation for Pro Tools begginer ? How much aprox ?

Thank's Chris :)

James Argo said:
1. Does Pro Tools Free (for Win98) has OMF export import capabilities ?
I think I know the answer to this one: NO! I don't think that OMF even exsisted when PT Free was released. :)

moskus said:
I think I know the answer to this one: NO! I don't think that OMF even exsisted when PT Free was released. :)

Ouh... I see...

Is there some free add on (patch / update) to allow it doing so ? :)

My bet is: No!

If there were, they should made a patch allowing it to run on WinXP/2000.... ;)

so there's protools free version ? I never knew it :o where can i get it? my pc use win98se, does it work with anysoundcard ? i use SB Live. I knew cakewalk is alot better :) (still using Cwpa 9) but it's good to learn how to use protools. many people around town is talking protools is standard in digital recording pc. :)

Clemie said:
so there's protools free version ? I never knew it :o where can i get it? my pc use win98se, does it work with anysoundcard ? i use SB Live. I knew cakewalk is alot better :) (still using Cwpa 9) but it's good to learn how to use protools. many people around town is talking protools is standard in digital recording pc. :)

Yup they do have Protools Free.. click here .

It doesn't work on XP but should work fine on 98SE. And it does work with a Sound Blaster (because I have used it on ME with a SB Live).

Porter

Clemie said:
I knew cakewalk is alot better :) (still using Cwpa 9) but it's good to learn how to use protools.
Just remember that PT Free is beginning to get old and get gray hairs... It hasn't been updated for the last 5 years or so.

It's like comparing PA 6 and Sonar 2.2... ;)

thanks for the link, Porter :) its old indeed, but gave me anything for me learning the basic :) thanks to u 2 moskus :)

Back