Sonar set-up problems

Graymalkin2001

Using Sonar 5 PE with Edirol UA-1000 module, Windows XP. Standard SoundBlaster card for non-recording purposes.

Problem: I've gone through the set-up several times, and when recording, there is some distortion (pops and crackles) from the monitor speakers (Edirol MA-20D) when using the microphone. Armed, recording and playback. Until I speak or sing into the microphone, there is silence. At the first syllable, there is crackling. Is there something I'm overlooking?

Problem: (related to the first problem, I'm sure) Even after checking all settings, I have to keep my monitor speakers at less than 1/4 volume for monitoring AND playback, because they're too loud! And when an XP system sound (like when alerts pop up) occurs, they're EXTREMELY loud! What am I doing wrong?

And lastly, the least important problem, but annoying nonetheless: Any time I play any recorded MIDI files (including sample Cakewalk content) there is a 2-second long BEEP that occurs about every 33 seconds! What causes this?

MUCH appreciation for any advice!

And lastly, the least important problem, but annoying nonetheless: Any time I play any recorded MIDI files (including sample Cakewalk content) there is a 2-second long BEEP that occurs about every 33 seconds! What causes this?
I believe that beep is because of expired demo software. You have to buy the full version once the demo period expires otherwise the beeps start. I noticed that applies to Cakewalk plugins...

Mine is full version, not demo or "cracked."
This does not happen when recording or playing audio, only MIDI, or tracks requiring a synth. It could be that the MIDI or synth plug-ins could be expired trial versions. Being an acoustic musician, I rarely use MIDI or synths.

But, that's the least problem. My BIG problem is crackling when I record vocals or guitars plugged into the UA-1000. Clean UNTIL it gets a vocal or guitar signal, then crackling! I've double-checked EVERYTHING, and can't figure out what's causing it!!!

I have adjusted the latency and buffer settings, and so far nothing seems to help. When using headphones through the UA-1000, I don't hear any crackling, so I'm reasonably certain it's not that (unless it's from the output into the software, and I've tried every adjustment there as well). I believe it's got to be in my computer. Either some conflict with the SoundBlaster (although it's NOT used in any way for recording), or the audio input or output settings (which I've also tried to adjust every way possible).

Regarding latency, Sonar configured the settings based on the UA-1000's profile. My system is 32 bit, the UA-1000 is 24 bit, and Sonar has configured the settings for 24 bit. So there shouldn't be a problem there.

What else could possibly cause the crackling???

Crackling/pops are many times the culprit of clocking issues and/or mismatched sample rates somewhere in your chain.

You say you have the Soundblaster installed for non-recording purposes, so I'm assuming the Edirols are connected to the UA-1000. Are they connected via the digital connections? When you listened via headphones, was this through the SB or the UA1000?

Since you are not using the SB for recording, and you can utilize the UA1000 for day to day sounds on your computer, why not just remove or disable the Soundblaster and see if that makes a difference...

Hope this helps

:)

Back