sonar pops and blips

Ray Brown

Hi,
When im recording audio,say a lead guitar piece which I may punch in and out occasionly, how do I join these pieces together? so as to move or to try and eliminate the pops I get at the punch in points. Some of these pops can be very bad, any ideas?
Thanks Ray

You need to set the punch in/out points where there is silence in the track you are punching to. Otherwise the punch will tend to be audible.

You can crossfade two parts together...

As far as the pops at the punch-in/out instants, they should be very easy to see in the waveform and edit out -- just select the peak and crank its amplitude way down to the level of the average adjoining peaks and it should be pretty inaudible.

To join them you have to use the "bounce to clips" command. Highlight the pieces you want to join (by holding the CTRL key and selecting). Once all the clips are selected, use bounce to clips from edit menu. CW PA9 had a "combine" command that I personally liked better, but they removed it in Sonar.

Alchuck, I think if you use the approach you suggest you might still "hear" the punch by "hearing" the silence in the middle of the clip. In other words, the punch is still noticeable. The cross-fade might help with this, and it's certainly worth a try.

I never had much luck except by punching into silence. What happens when you punch into actual sound is that the (new and old) waves don't align properly, and that is what you "hear". By punching into silence you are not "cutting" into an existing wave.

wave editing

okay in future I will record in a way to eleviate probs like pops and clicks, but how do I edit a wave or a particular part of it? I double click on it to get it up but cant work on it, how do I selct certain sections, and it would be nice to see that play line going through to know where you are. alchuck said just get the wave up and decrease any peaks(pops) ,,cant do it. You are spot on dachay it says in the docs you can run into probs punching into areas where there are high levels.
Thanks
Ray

Back