sonar made me cry

creaturebeats

I don't know what 2 do anymore. It's been six months since i got my new box and i've done all the tweaks, read all the newsgroups, visited all the boards, updated every driver, tested every setting but still

CLICKS AND CRACKLES

WHY?

800mHZ, 30gig hard drive, 300 and change RAM, delta 1010, MOTU2408, SonarXL

and i ask WHY?

it's da delta1010 i have narrowed it down 2 that. I've read of success w/ lower grade systems on mulitple message boards why not me.

I'm not even trying 2 do more that 20 tracks of audio, my system should be able to handle that.

i'm losing money, losing clients and losing hope.

my next goal is 2 buy a smaller hard drive and see if that helps.

IF ANYBODY CAN HELP W/ SOME ADVICE???

dig deep 4 this one guyz, i'll hate to go back to HTML coding...
thankz
creature

if it hurts when you do that, don't do that

if the card is the problem change the card. don't change the stuff around the card.

with 800mhz, 30gb HD, and 300mb ram, you shouldn't hear clicks and pops unless:

1. you are eclipsing your digital range. ie... recording too hot.

2. your card and some internal/external source are not synchronized (ie... master/slave). the off-timing causes pops.

3. your card is sharing its IRQ with another card. create a separate hardware profile, wherein your sound card is the only peripheral in use. network cards and such are notorious for screwing up your audio.

4. the driver for your card are not compatible with your OS.

5. your card is defective.

It probably would help if you told us what you've done already. This way we won't be giving you suggestions that you've already tried.

I had click and pops with my new system as well - more so in Sound Forge than in Sonar - but what finally got rid of them for me was to disable the USB port.

If you haven't tried it, just go into control panel -> system ->device manager. Find the USB components and select properties and click the button for "disable in this hardware profile". If you need to use them at any time, just go back into control panel and click "enable". I only have a scanner connected to my USB which gets very infrequent usage, so this hasn't been a big deal for me.

I did everything that crosstudio mentioned in his post.

Question:
If an IRQ is being shared will windows list it as a conflict because the IRQ for my Delta is being shared as far as i can tell but windows says there's no conflict. And how would i put it on it's own IRQ?

I have an Alton Mainboard A631M from what my manual says. If u need spec i'll post it.

I'm using the latest WDM drivers from MidiMan (not the beta driver).

I had my DELTA1010 in another computer and it was working fine, but that one was a P2 333mHZ and it had 192RAM with an 8gig hard drive.

that's all 4 now ohhh my OS is Win98SE

thankz all :)
creature

got it

It was my stupid USB port it's seems that i didn't disable it because i was using a MIDISport 4x. Now i am out of a MIDI router ohhh well instead of buy the hard drive i'll buy a new a rack mount or one that goes into a pci slot.

all seems well now but i haven't started recording yet so well see.

thankz

hmmm my USB port prolly cuzed my pops and clicks wit my delta 66 and the WDM drivers...worth a try i guess...i love this forum

Well ive had similiar problems..but

I have had similiar problems in cakewalk with my delta card. it helped alot when i got the new drivers however, but i still get random pops every once in a project. but this is my theory on it. I never had any problems with it until i bought a second delta 44 card to run multiple. what this does it is using two different IRQs for the card. One card has the one the delta likes and the other just has an alternative. Also, with two cards in there, the computer now has to buffer to both of them, the same amount of buffers. So i would try either limiting the buffer size a little bit. (i think im saying the right terms :D). Also, i would try taking out any other cards you might have, like modems, network cards, etc. and yes, disabling the USB will free up an IRQ. I dunno, just some things to look at, i havnt had the problems yet since i switched to Cubase, because i that has something to do with ASIO technology.

Darnold

Back