Sonar made me buy a Keyboard!!!

KevinTran

Hey guys, just wanted to say that all the references to MIDI in Sonar's help guides and tutorials made me feel like I wasn't gonna be able to fully benefit from this program until I got me a MIDI keyboard.

Just picked up a Yamaha DGX-202, 76 key monster. Now what's the difference between the small black keys and the big white keys? It's not something racial is it? Cuz the white ones outnumber the black ones too.

kt

Hi,

White Keys are normal notes in a music scale (whole tone):

C, D, E, F, G, A, B

and black keys are for Sharp and Flat notes (half tone):

C# or Db, D# or Eb, and so

Notes that C and B are always Half tone as well as E and F. That is the reason there is no black key between them.

KevinTran said:
It's not something racial is it?
kt

Ebony and Ivory live together in perfect harmony
side by side on my piano keyboard
Oh Lord, why can't we???

Let me just add that the ones on my Hammond pedalboard are tan and black, and it's damn hard to just play the right notes one at a time, never mind that harmony shit. And then there's the preset keys, where the blacks outnumber the whites. And the drawbars, where there's brown too. And the solo pedal unit, where everything's brown...

Re: Re: Sonar made me buy a Keyboard!!!

dafduc said:
Ebony and Ivory live together in perfect harmony
side by side on my piano keyboard
Oh Lord, why can't we???
Wow, there's people besides me around here that listenes to Paul McCartney... ;)

KevinTran said:
Now what's the difference between the small black keys and the big white keys? It's not something racial is it? Cuz the white ones outnumber the black ones too.

kt

If you are playing funk, soul or hip/hop, you only use the black keys, if you are playing liberace, celine dion etc, only the white ones. If you are playing the Clash, hit every key at the same time.

Back