Sonar/Hoontech 24 bit freezes

Brian Ferrell

I'm at my wits end on this one, but I 'm probably doing something stupid. I have: PIII 650, SBlive Platinum, Hoontech C-Port DSP 24 (WDM drivers) and am working with Sonar 1.3.1. For some reason, after I recorded a midi-synth piano part from the SBLive into inputs 3-4 of the Hoontech, whenever I try to convert the track from midi-to-16 bit audio-to 24 bit, Sonar freezes up and the PC won't shut down properly. The only audio drivers I have set up in Sonar are the Hoontech's wave drivers and the only midi I have set up are the SBLive's. If I leave the audio options set at 24 bits, whenever I open up a tutorial the same thing happens. I can't recall this ever happening before. I don't think it should freeze even if the project was recorded in 16 bit, should it? I've contacted Cakewalk and also a skilled Hoontech rep, both of who thought it might be an IRQ conflict, so I moved the Hoontech card to Slot 2 from Slot 1, but even though it moved to IRQ 10 with nothing more else than IRQ steering, I continued to have the freezing problem. I even tried uninstalling/reinstalling Sonar to no avail. It just seems like this happened recently with no problems before and I'm beginning to suspect the WDM drivers that I recently switched to, although the Hoontech rep seems confident in the new drivers. Anybody know of anything I might be overlooking? I wasted the last week constantly restarting the PC having to use the blue screen scandisk after it froze up.

Back