Sonar Demo Problems

kennedy connor

Hi
Jusr wanted to put out there my experience with Sonar demo.
Well..... for starters it wouldn't work and when I tried to uninstall It just won't go away. The plugins (midi) now appear in PA 9 and it massively crashes (you know the cakewalk crash ....full blown unplug the machine and call PGE to turn off the power to your neighborhood) whenever you attempt to use your midi efx. I have been in touch with cake tech support and they have been helpful but so far nothing seems to get rid of those damn plugins. Now this may be due to the usual user stupidity but can anyone out there put on to a solution?

Garcias

i've never used CAKEWALK PRO AUDIO, so i can't say much about that...........however, why can't you get the SONAR demo to work? i don't see why SONAR wouldn't run on a system that can run CPA.

you could try deleting the dll files for the midi plug ins....i don't think it would make things any worse.....anyway i'd try this...not recommending that viewers at home do this..;)

i haven't done an uninstall of sonar, but there is no reason to assume that this is going to take all the plug ins that were installed with the program, especially with cpa installed...but i'm still wondering why the sonar demo doesn't work....

j, I download the demo last month, same thing happened to me.
It messed up my Pro Audio 9, and it never worked. I uninstalled and things returned to normal, but unfortunately all the demo
did was tell me not to get Sonar yet if they cant even figure out the demo.

i wonder if cakewalk says anything about having SONAR and CPA both installed. this might create problems.....anyone running both?

i have installed SONAR on two different machines and it has worked on both. it may take a little longer to get SONAR to work on your machine than it does some other software....but it should run pretty well depending on what you are doing with it and what machine you are running it on.......i

If I recall when I got the upgrade, they recommend leaving Pro Audio 9 installed in case you change your mind... I had them both for a while until I realized I could do all I needed just fine in SONAR and so uninstalled PA 9.

thanks for answering my querry , AlChuck............SONAR should work on a modest system............i wonder if it will work on a pentium 120 Mhz notebook...that would be fun, to see if it will run on that thing, with it's internal soundcard......

Good luck... minimum system requirements are Pentium II-400 MHz, I think! Specs are at the Cakewalk website if you want to check...

Let's think about this, the demo may not work but the full version may.

The big thing with Sonar is that it 'requires' directx 8. And that comes with the full version. I don't know if the demo has that as part of the install. If not, I would venture a guess that some of the features, or maybe even the core program will bomb without the function calls that DX8 provides and the program requires.

I would take the time to donwload the newest of the DX8.0a updates and try that. Then see if the demo does what it should. If not then I would contact CW and ask them if the demo is buggy or not, perhaps they need to update the demo with the released code and patches that we all get in the full version.

Just a thought, good luck.

AlChuck, you are right about the minimum processor speed requirement.......however, i seem to recall someone telling me that they were able to get SONAR to play back tracks on a very slow system, something like 200MHz......this does sound odd, i admit.....

DS Sultan......that's a good point....it's quite possible that SONAR won't run at all without DX8.

Back