Sonar Demo Problem

Tekker

Hey guys, I'm checking out the Sonar 4 demo and it's been a while since I've used a Cakewalk product and I remember having this problem before with Pro Audio 9, but I don't remember how I fixed it.... LOL

When I start up the demo, it doesn't see my Aardvark Q10 at all.... Ok, fine, all I want to do is try the program out for a bit.... But then it also gives a message saying:

"The following driver(s) either do not support the current audio format, or are in use by another application.

Please choos whether you want to disable them or use them anyway
."

Then my onboard sound "SiS 7012 Wave" shows up in the list so I can't use it. So basically, I have no way of hearing anything from the demo because it won't use any of my sound devices, which pretty much renders the demo useless. I know I've had an issue where it wouldn't see my soundcard before in PA9, but I do not remember if I fixed it somehow or if it eventually worked itself out (with a reboot or something). I've tried rebooting and no change.

All I really care about is getting my onboard sound to work, just so I can check out the program. So if anyone can help figure this out, that would be great! :cool:

-tkr

Sounds like you have two issues going on here.

First, you have to choose a driver mode in Sonar (WDM, ASIO, or MME). My guess is that you currently have the driver mode set to WDM, but most likely you don't have WDM drivers for your Aardvark. The solution is to reset the driver mode in Sonar to MME, then exit and re-enter Sonar. (The downside to using the MME drivers is that they will give you higher latency.)

You may also be able to use ASIO drivers. However, it is likely that you may only have ASIO drivers for your Aardvark and not for your onboard card. If you do not plan to use the onboard card, then this is the way to go.

The second problem is that you most likely have your project set to 24 bit depth, and your onboard sound card does not support 24 bit recording. You can fix this by setting your project to 16 bits.

However, once again if your Aardvark supports 24 bits and you don't plan to use the onboard card, then leave Sonar set at 24 bits and disable the onboard card when prompted by Sonar. (This assumes, of course, that you want to record at 24 bits.)

Good luck.

Yep, that did it! The default was WDM.

The project file was 16bit by default, so it was a driver issue! Now both cards are working with MME and just like you predicted only my Aardvark works with AISO (dang you're good ;)).

I guess drivers are an area that I need to do more research in. There's a very long thread on the Samplitude newsgroup that I visit, I guess I need to go read it! LOL

Thanks,
-tkr

Back