Sonar 8 Audio Recording Issue

jumpingpound

Hello All,

I'm a new(er) using to Sonar and have just put Sonar 8 on a new PC with an Auzentech Prelude 7.1 soundcard. Everything with the audio on this computer works just fine, except for an issue in Sonar. When I record an analog device such as my guitar (through a POD XT) into Sonar, the recording comes in with a series of gaps in the information that come across as small pops. When I record using the windows recorder or the prelude's recorder it works just fine with no such problems. The "gaps" in sonar are hardwired into the recording, and are visible in the waveform itself (see the attached image).

I've read every help file and looked all over the internet for a solution to this problem but can't seem to find one. I've adjusted the buffer settings repeatedly to no effect, and I'm not sure what to make of the issue. During both recording and playback the CPU meter is very low (less than 10% usage) so it's not as if I'm maxing out my system. MIDI recording and playback work just fine.

Any help you could offer would be much appreciated. Please bear in mind that I'm more of a "guitar guy" than a "computer guy." If needed I can make screencaps of my parameters.

JP
Intel Quad Core Q9550@2.83 GHz
4.0mb RAM
Auzentech Prelude 7.1
ATI Radeon 4800 Series

Attachments

• Waveform.jpg
    Waveform.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 57
What drivers are you using? Are you using ASIO and what are your buffer settings?

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using the default setting for the driver mode, which is WDM/KS.
I've done a screen capture for all four tabs of the audio settings, which I have attached to this post so that you can see how things are set up.

These are pretty much the "out of the box" settings, and I have not changed them.

JP

Attachments

• AudioSettings-1.jpg
    AudioSettings-1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 58
  • AudioSettings-2.jpg
    AudioSettings-2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 54
  • AudioSettings-3.jpg
    AudioSettings-3.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 52
  • AudioSettings-4.jpg
    AudioSettings-4.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 54
According the the Auzentech website the card supports ASIO, so could you try changing the driver mode to ASIO and report if that helps (which it should!).

Try with a fairly safe buffer size (512?) then lower it from there.

Switching to the ASIO drivers worked like a charm. The recording levels are a bit low when recording from a few devices in particular but I'm going to try a few things and see if I can't solve it.

Thanks for the advice.

Back