Sonar 8.5 Producer

cecerre

I have convinced myself to go the Sonar route for my digital needs. I still record on a 24 track board with a Alesis HD based ADAT but I want a fully functional app to take my songs from there to mastered final. Is my research correct, the Sonar 8.5 Producer package is everything I need? Would there be 'not included' or crippled options in the Producer version that I will be looking at spending money on besides the initial cost of the Producer app?

Thanks

Sonar 8.5 is a full fledge and complete software package.

However I'm not going to say there isn't anything else you're going to want to get. That depends entirely on what you're planning on doing.

With Sonar you will be able to record lots of tracks of audio. You will be able to record midi tracks and use the built in software synths (Which includes general instruments, Session Drummer etc.). You will have a large selection of plugins to cover a range of audio processing needs. And much more.

Having said that I've still purchased a large amount of software synths by other companies. I have a UAD card in my computer. I have Wavelab because I prefer it for CD authoring. I use other software packages for notation purposes.

It all depends on what you want to do with it. If all you want to do is record some guitar and vocal tracks is probably more than you need and it might be better to go for the Studio version of Sonar.

Hope that helps and doesn't just confuse you more.

Charlie
www.intuneaudio.ca

Not at all, I genuinely appreciate the feedback. I am really just interested in post processing. I intend to continue to record on my ADAT and board but plan on taking the tracks to the computer from there. As long as the "basics" are there, I think I will be happy. Compression, eq, delays/verbs, etc, the outboard gear that is killing me to patch up for every song. Plus, at least as I understand from the advertising, the package can take the mixes all the way to a final for mastering or even master the tracks in Sonar. That would be a great deal at $400.00 I just wanted to make sure I was not going to get a bunch of half implemented plug-ins with links to the 'full version' somewhere in the app.

Thanks!

Are you bringing your 2-track mixdown from the Alesis into Sonar or are you importing all the individual tracks?? If it's the individual tracks then Sonar is a good way to go and the plugs aren't trial versions. (Plus, I like In Tune's recommendation for UAD plugs).

However, if you are looking to master your final 2-track mixes, you might find better options with something like Wavelab or Soundforge which are products geared towards mastering. (And hey, UAD plugs will work with these also!! :) )

Chili is absolutely right with his comment about whether you'll be mixing all the tracks or just the stereo mix.

And if you are hoping to mix all the tracks but don't need software instruments etc. I'd go with the Studio version of Sonar. It will cost you a lot less and be easier to start with and figure out. You can always upgrade to the producer version later or with the next version of Sonar.

Charlie
www.intuneaudio.ca

I Will be importing the 24 tacks off the adat for mixing. Using Sonar to produce the 2 track final then master. At least thats the plan now.

I Will be importing the 24 tacks off the adat for mixing. Using Sonar to produce the 2 track final then master. At least thats the plan now.

I use Studio to mix the stems from Ableton and its excellent...also the effects are very usable, better than some of my bought ones..

Producer has the largest amount of plug ins and instruments than any other DAW, I have to admit Im not a great fan of the effects envelopes workflow in Studio 8 but this may have been addressed in 8.5??

.. I have to admit Im not a great fan of the effects envelopes workflow in Studio 8 but this may have been addressed in 8.5??
Not aware of any major change there. What aspect of the automation are you not liking?

Not aware of any major change there. What aspect of the automation are you not liking?

the add node, delete node...i know you can use the draw tool but thats seldom accurate and every other daw its just a matter of clicking or grabbing the automation line..

its a nit pick but after doing several tracks with automation its time consuming and annoying...i use ableton and have used samplitude and with them its so simple and flexible.....unless im missing something??

I just DL'd the Sonar 8 web demo. I have already discovered that I will need a good audio card. The one I have isn't capable of anything beyond 16 bit 48k. Any suggestions? Fortunately, I put together my own PC and I will be able to upgrade the proc and ram if needed.

Well, after not getting the demo registration from Sonar (Roland) for the 2nd time and no response from support, I purchased Reaper yesterday. Good stuff, up and running in like 20 minutes.

You should go start a thread on the Cakewalk boards letting them know you almost went Sonar...but went Reaper instead...hahaha...they'll froth at the mouth and start convolting

Back