Sonar 7 Monitoring

This is what I have:

Sonar 7
Lynx Aurora 16
Lynx AES16
Yamaha monitors
Rane Headphone amp

This is the problem:

I send each track to outputs 1/2 on the Aurora to feed the Yamaha monitors.

I set "Effect 1" to send each track to outputs 3/4 on the Aurora to the Headphone amp.

This provides me with separate Volume, Pan etc. for each, thus giving me two independent mixes that do not interfere with each other.

I can move volumes on any track up & down and it does not effect the headphone mix and vice versa.

When I arm any track for record, I am forced to set the "Effect 1" output to "Post fader" otherwise I lose the signal completely to the headphone amp. When doing that, it takes away my independent volume control for each track to each mix because "Effect 1" essentially follows the "Main out" (Yamaha monitor) fader.

Is it possible to record and still keep the "Effect 1" output to "Pre fader" ?

Thank you

Here is the way I would approach your setup.

Send all the tracks to the Master Buss 1/2. Then create a send off the master buss that points to the Effects 1 buss. Point the Effects 1 buss to channels 3/4. (By the way I would rename the Effects 1 buss to something more intuitive i.e. headphone mix.

This way your are using the same master signal for both the monitors and the headphone amp. Pre and post fader become irrelevant.

Another approach is to buy a patch bay and mult the 1/2 channels to the headphone amp. Then you can free up 3/4 out on the Lynx for other duties i.e. reamping, external processing etc.

Last edited:
Middleman,
Your solution doesn't allow for two different mixes, however.

mr torture,
I tried your config on my Sonar 4, and it worked like you want yours to. Good idea. I wonder if you have a config issue such as ASIO direct monitoring being unchecked. Not sure that that would be an issue here, but.... I'm using default settings for Sonar and my echo sound card. Perhaps there are more sophisticated routing options in Sonar 7, and you have change some behavior. Don't know why they'd eliminate that feature.

Sonar 4
Echo Mia, 6.14 console, ASIO drivers
(yes, outputs 3-8 are virtual, but I can still send to them and mute 1&2 to get the results of the 'headphone mix being sent to 3&4, I just can't direct them to individual pieces of outboard gear.)
Win XP SP2

Good luck.

Back