Sonar 7 and M-audio 49e trouble

guhlenn

Oh REALLY????
Hi there,

I recently installed sonar 7 on a new machine, but nonw my MIDI keyboard has some trouble. It might be a pc thing, but i;m sspecting sonar is the issue. anyway, i installed the drivers, but soft synths wont produce sound. I';m very new to MIDI, so feel free to point to obvious olutions, however, Sonar sometimes crashes and always turns off system sounds (like the USB bleep when i attach or detach the keyboard). weird. When i reboot, i get an 'MCI handling window' error (program is not reposnding, yada yada). I searched on the last error, and this is a windows multimedia handling program. So it might not be sonar afterall. Help is very much appreciated, I did try to sort out by using FAQ's on sonar and M-audio site as well as google, but nothing appears (t my noob eyes anyway)

Thank you,
G

Ouch...you're right, something doesn't sound right there. The business of the PC rebooting is ugly. Which OS and version are you using?

Another thought,...Cakewalk has a forum, ( http://forum.cakewalk.com/tt.asp?forumid=5 ) you might want to post this question over there as well. Sonar 7 has been around for a little while now. I've got to think that their website would be riddled with angry user messages if there were something inherently wrong with SONAR.

I'm thinking that the support folks at SONAR are going to first off suggest reloading SONAR and/or your OS.

Sorry not a lot of help but maybe some hope? :)

Thanks. I didn;t install the maintance update, will try this first. sonar works like a charm as long as i;m not using MIDI btw. i;m using xp (latest sp's installed). But I'm starting to think it's a pc thing afterall. I sometimes get Windows is signign you off' crash. alot to be exact. (well, you know, when shutting down).

ANd something else; i got sonar to use my MIDI keyboard... got sound. for about 30sec. Then again no sound at all, Although i saw the soft synth responding. The sound card did not show soudn going out.

Will check with the sonar forum. Thank you!

I'm kind of inclined to think the same. I'm running XP w/SP2, SONAR 7 Pro and have several MIDI devices hanging off my machine. I've had version 7 for a few weeks now with no issues so far.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck to you.

IT aint Sonar afterall... I got sonar to work (some luck and some more rtfm did the trick ;). The problem aint over though. I'm guessing it's a hardware conflict, though it;s kinda puzzling; there's an onboard soundcard (realtek), which i turned off, but now everytime i use midi is get a realtek program something not responding as well as an MCI handling window not responding.

I f anyone knows how this can be fixed... please let me know.

Kind regards ,
G

Conflict

I was just wondering if you disabled the soundcard in your BIOS setup?
I will not claim to be an expert, but if you have an option to disable the audio hardware in the BIOS it should preclude any conflicts in the OS.

You should be able to DL info on how to do this from your motherboard mfg. website.

Hope this helps.

-LUke

HA Luke,

ibn fact, this eliminated 95% of the misery. I kinda forgot about this thread, muy apologies, but bios disabling worked. I still however get the MCI handling window form time to time and the computer still wont shut down properly, although windows does not show any sign of this when i boot the system... Guess i need to contact my pc builder bout that. No big one though. Oh, and might I add: Sonar 7 is kicking ass here! Love it!

Back