Sonar 6: Audio Clicks,Pops, & Dropouts.

velouria08

Hi Everyone,
My genuine apologies in advance for this ridiculously long post. I promise I have tried to sort this problem myself (as you’ll see) but am at a bit of a loss at this stage. I should also probably mention I’m not too computer literate. Basically i’m having a lot of problems with clicks, pops and dropouts with Sonar 6. I am running it Rewired with Reason 3 (which I mainly use just for the drum machine, Dr. Rex Loop Player and occasionally a couple of synths or effects) and my interface is the Line 6 Toneport KB 37 which uses ASIO drivers.

I’m not putting a lot of strain on the system and I’m still having problems. For example if I have about 3 or 4 midi tracks and 3 or 4 audio tracks with a couple of plugins (e.g. amp modeling, compression etc) the cpu is runs between 50 and 95 percent jumping dramatically up and down causing clicks, pops and dropouts. I do intend to use more plugins and tracks than this so I hope if I give you my setup/system info and an outline of what I have tried so far you can perhaps help me out. Maybe my Sonar audio settings are all wrong! Or did some of the tweaks I made actually add to the problem! Does having Reason running in Rewire mode drain a lot of cpu? All help and suggestions would be very much appreciated. : )

Firstly I’ll give a list of my system information. I am using a HP laptop that’s about 2 years old. Then the spec and system requirements of my hardware interface. Lastly I will list the current audio options settings I have in Sonar 6 and the tweaks I have made to Windows xp.

LAPTOP SYSTEM INFO:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
System Name PC622264192296
System Model HP 510 Notebook PC (RU964AA#ABU)
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~2127 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard 68DTV Ver. F.05, 31/10/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 480.60 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.64 GB

Here is a description of my hardware interface and system requirements:

INTERFACE SPEC & SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

Name: Line 6 Toneport KB 37
Monitoring
• ToneDirect Monitoring – full tone low latency monitoring regardless of recording software’s buffer size
Recording Modes
• 44.1 & 48KHz, 16 & 24 bit recording
• 96KHz mode with built-in sample rate conversion for simultaneous input and output
Audio Performance
• Pro Audio Performance with over 100dB signal-to-noise & dynamic range
Power
• USB powered
Drivers
• ASIO, WDM, Mac OS X
System Requirements
PC
• Pentium® 4 1.2GHz or better (2.5Ghz or more recommended)
• Windows® XP (with SP2 only)
• 512MB RAM minimum (1GB or more recommended)
• 1GB free HD space minimum (10GB or more recommended for recording)
• Drive speed 5400rpm minimum (7200rpm or faster recommended)
• CD-ROM drive
• Internet connection for online features
• One free USB 1.1 or 2.0 compatible port on computer (USB hubs are not supported)

CURRENT SONAR 6 AUDIO OPTIONS:

GLOBAL OPTIONS:
File Bit Depths:
Record: 16
Render: 32
Import: 16
AUDIO OPTIONS:
Playback Timing Master: ASIO Toneport Output 1-2
Record Timing Master: ASIO Toneport Output 3-4
Audio Driver Bit Depth: This box is shaded out (ie I can’t click it)
64 Bit Double Precision Engine: This box is UNCHECKED.
Sampling Rate: 44100
Buffers In Playback Queue: This box is also shaded out.
Buffer Size: Set to FASTEST (5.8 msec) (NOTE: When I change this it resets itself)
Effective Latency at 44 KHz/Stereo: 5.8 msec

ASIO PANEL:

Driver operating @ 44100 Hz ; 16 Bit

ASIO Settings:

Default Buffer Size = 256

Default Bit Depth = 16 Bit

Tone Direct Monitoring Buffer Size: Nearly at SMALLEST

Enable Read/Write Caching: Both are UNCHECKED.

I/O Buffer Size (KB): 128

Driver Mode: ASIO

Dithering: Triangular

Synchronization: FULL CHASE LOCK IS CHECKED.

Timing Offset (msec) 0.000

Record Latency Adjustment (Samples)

Device: ASIO Toneport (2 In/1 Out)

Manual Offset: 0

ASIO Reported Latency: BOX is CHECKED = 398

I/O Drivers: ASIO Toneport boxes are ALL CHECKED.

Now here’s a list of what I have tweaked in Windows xp:

TWEAKS TO WINDOWS XP:

1. Used msconfig to clean up startup and services.
2. Optimized for BACKGROUND SERVICES.
3. Disabled TRANSITION EFFECTS.
4. Disabled AUTOMATIC UPDATES.
5. Turned off SYSTEM RESTORE
6. Disabled REMOTE DESKTOP & ASSISTANCE.
7. Disabled CRYPTOGRAPHIC SERVICES
8. Disabled DIST LINK
9. Disabled ERROR REPORTING SERVICES
10. Disabled FAST USER SWITCHING
11. Disabled HELP & SUPPORT
12. Disabled PRINT SPOOLER
13. Disabled SECONDARY LOGON
14. Disabled SYSTEM NOTIFICATION
15. Disabled THEMES
16. Disabled WINDOWS INAGE AQUIRE
17. Disabled WRITE CACHING in the device manager
18. Turned off POWER MANAGEMENT
19. Removed MSN MESSENGER
20. Removed SCREEN SAVER.
21. Removed SYSTEM SOUNDS
22. Changed default PLAYBACK/RECORDING/MIDI/VOICE device to TONEPORT in CONTROL PANEL
23. DEFRAGMENTED HARD DRIVE
24. Did Disc cleanup (backed up as many programs, files etc to external hard drive as possible- currently have 26gb of free space)

OTHER HARDWARE CURRENTLY CONNECTED TO LAPTOP IN ADDITION TO TONEPORT:

1. EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE.

2. SECOND MONITOR.

I have tried disabling wireless when recording but this doesn’t seem to make much of a difference. I’m not running any other problems in background. Could it also be an IRQ or DMA problem. Only read about these recently. Don’t really know what it’s all about. As I said I’m not very computer literate.

ONE FINAL QUESTION:

Is my system sufficient or would anyone recommend further tweaks such as OVERCLOCKING the CPU. Only read about this recently. Or am I talking CRAZY!!! If you read this far thanks for your time and patience. As I said would be very grateful of any help/suggestions.

Cheers![:D]

Your laptop specs certainly should be able to handle '3 or 4 midi tracks and 3 or 4 audio tracks with a couple of plugins' without jumping you up 50-90% CPU cycles.

My first thought would be to remove Reason 3 from the equation... See if the Rewire session is the culprit (this is my guess).

You also may want to try bumping your default buffer to around 512 and see if that helps calm things down a bit...

Hope this helps!

:)

hi, i too am using sonar 6 and i have a firepod from presonus as my interface. i too was having some of the clicks and pops, even to the point where when i would start playback i'd have dropouts. there is one trick you can use and that is freezing the audio channels. if your cpu is running 50-95% then i think this would help. also make sure that your bit settings are the same with your sound interface and set your latency to a safe zone. hope this helps a little.

With that kind of CPU usage, you could never make changes in real time. You may be able to change parameters with the transport stopped. But I think you need to lean out your system. I had a laptop with 2 gigs of RAM for physical memory and lots of processing speed but I got dropouts all the time.

I went to a tower from Dell. Inspiron 530 that does "NOTHING" but Sonar 6 PE.

No internet, EVER. Nothing else. Now I have no problems with dropouts unless I have ten VST plugins running and twenty tracks. Then I still get dropouts.

It only costs $300.00 for the tower. Money well spent.

Back