Sonar 4: won't record anymore!

Bradley Tanogna

Hey guys,

So I'm running my acoustic/electric to an m-audio omni to a delta 66 on my PC. I recorded fine a couple days ago, but when I tried again, it simply would not record.
my checklist:
I armed the audio track, turned the audio engine on, set up the inputs/outputs, checked to make sure the delta driver was selected, checked the pre-amp to make sure it was receiving signal, checked the soundcard to make sure it was receiving signal, and finally restarted the program/computer.

I can play back previous recordings through the omni pre-amp just fine, i'm just not getting an input audio on the audio track in sonar. I feel like I've exhausted all my options. Any suggestions?

I had a similar sitaution once, and it ended up being a stupid mistake...

I had left "punch ins" turned on from my last session. Since the punch was last set to somewhere 3-4 minutes into the song, I didn't see the markers.

I set up a new track, armed it for recording, got good levels... But recording produced nothing. When I finally figured out what was "wrong", of course it was easily fixed.

Hmmm... Could be a couple of things.

1. Mic / Mic cable (I'll assume these are ok for now)
2. Omni... Do you have the input gain turned up for that channel?
3. Cakewalk -- Do you have the correct channel selected? M-Audio Delta 1/2 Left or MAudio Delta 66 1/2 Right.
4. Track Armed?

If nothing else changed on the PC since it worked last night I would suspect one of these first.

Yes and the same here

Bradley Tanogna said:
Hey guys,

So I'm running my acoustic/electric to an m-audio omni to a delta 66 on my PC. I recorded fine a couple days ago, but when I tried again, it simply would not record.
my checklist:
I armed the audio track, turned the audio engine on, set up the inputs/outputs, checked to make sure the delta driver was selected, checked the pre-amp to make sure it was receiving signal, checked the soundcard to make sure it was receiving signal, and finally restarted the program/computer.

I can play back previous recordings through the omni pre-amp just fine, i'm just not getting an input audio on the audio track in sonar. I feel like I've exhausted all my options. Any suggestions?

I to get the same, normally when multi tracking.
It just stops! the engine is running all tracks armed getting input on the meters, but doesnt record anything.
Only way I have got round it is to close down and restart or try a new track(s)

My main problem now is dropout.
I have a RME card running adat and the proc in Sonar shows CPU at 6 - 17%
But windows shows the CPU flat out 100% who's right?
I asume windows is as the recording stutters or stops.
This on an athlon 2000 with 512 ram I'm recording 3 drum tracks and the timing is killing me as it slows down.

Any one any idea ( please not the: upgrade to 4)

Cheers
Bob

Did you try going to the m-audio website for the latest drivers? Maybe you have old drivers that pooped out for some reason.

Your exact symptoms happened to me when I upgraded from a PC using ME to a PC using XP. I installed the Delta 1010 software, w/ drivers, from my old M-Audio cd. Then the darn thing would play audio but not record it.

Turns out the old drivers on my M-audio CD couldn't handle the XP operating system. So a quick download from the M-Audio website and problem solved.

brilliant me...

So I fixed the problem, which was one or both of the following:

a) I had the wrong driver
b) The line input switch on the back of the Omni pre-amp was switched on, meaning it was routing signal from the jacks in the back rather than the balanced lines in the front of the pre-amp. Man am I a dumbass.

Thanks to all for all of the input. I am now going to write a song about being an absent-minded fool entitled "don't go flipping switches without knowing what they're for" in Amaj7. Peace out.

Brad

Back