Sonar 4 vs Sonar 7

Aoresteen

Hi all! I have dabbled with Cakewalk off and on for some time now and after being away for a few years I've decided to get back into it.

I bought Pro Audio 9 and Sonar 4. I also have Peavey StudioMix.

My question is this: Is it worth upgrading to Sonar 7? Will StudioMix still work with Sonar 7?

I could not find a Sonar 4 to 7 comparison. Thanks for your help.

Thanks!

I'm building a new DAW. I plan on using a single Dual Core Intel CPU with 4 gb RAM. Will Sonar 4 work ok with the dual core? Or should I get Sonar 7?

Sonar 4 will work fine on a dual-core. I'd like to know if your Multimix is working in Sonar 4? I've always pondered that purchase.

The last time I used Sonar 4 was late 2006 or early 2007. At that time I couldn't get it to output sound on my computer so I used Pro Audio 9. The Peavey Studio Mix worked well with ProAudio 9 (which worked fine). I was never able to get Sonar 4 working. I have been told that the StudioMix will work with Sonar 4. We will see!

In 2007 I deployed to Iraq and recently got back; it's time to get my music projects back on track!

Thanks for your service. My son is slated for deployment in April. Godspeed to the American military. You have just found all the recording help I can muster sir.

I'm interested in this topic as well. A buddy went to an all-in-one system and gave his sonar 4.0 package to me, but the audio engine keeps konking out.

Having very little patience with it I just went back to old faithful (2.2XL) to get my recordings done. Just wondering if I should bother upgrading or working with anything else at all since 2.2 works just fine.

I went from Pro Audio 9 to SONAR 5 and will soon be running SONAR 7. Based on the SONAR 5 TO SONAR 7 a couple great enhancements are the software suite (of course) and some great workflow enhancements. One of my favorites is organizing VST effects in subfolders rather than one long list. Makes finding plugins much, much quicker. You also get audio snap and the cool active controller technology. Integrated CD ripping is another great feature.

The below link includes a high level list of features added over the years.

http://cakewalk.com/SONAR/English/Upgrade/evolution.asp

I went from Pro Audio 9 to SONAR 5 and will soon be running SONAR 7. Based on the SONAR 5 TO SONAR 7 a couple great enhancements are the software suite (of course) and some great workflow enhancements. One of my favorites is organizing VST effects in subfolders rather than one long list. Makes finding plugins much, much quicker. You also get audio snap and the cool active controller technology. Integrated CD ripping is another great feature.

The below link includes a high level list of features added over the years.

http://cakewalk.com/SONAR/English/Upgrade/evolution.asp

I found a vendor on ebay who had just found a couple of copies of Sonar 6PE in his store room and was selling them at $119 or Best Offer. I jumped on that one and should get it in a few days.

Was a little leery at first but he has over four hundred transactions completed and a 100% positive feedback rating. He has an ebay store with all kind of computer based recording gear so I think I'm safe.

Now I'll be able to upgrade to 7.0 for a lot less. :D

I also like in 7 being able to write (record) automation, i.e. fader, balance, sends, etc.. You can also toggle 'reading' the automation on and off on each track.

Back