Sonar 4 Producer Woes...

SilentSound

I've recorded flawlessly before with this same computer, but after a friend tweaked it deeply to be nothing but a recording machine and upgraded Sonar to 4 - Producer Edition, anything recorded independently of anything else seems slightly delayed upon playback. It's very slight but greatly affects how a drum and bass track recorded in seperate takes work together and requires lining up the track.

I've experimented with a lot of i/o buffer options to see what would yield any results but so far nothing.

I'm using 2 MOTU 2408 MKII's via firewire to its proprietary pci-324 card.

For example, I recorded to a 16 Track 1" analog machine, dumped it in the computer, but when we started tracking anything not recorded on the machine we heard a very slight but detrimental delay.

I hope someone else has heard of this problem.... Thanks,

Matt

delay

PS

I recorded the metronome into the headphones and when playing the track back with the metronome, the delay is about 900-1000ms. WAY too much for adequate recording..

This obviously sounds like latency.

What drivers are you using?

When you said you reset the buffers, did you do this in Sonar, or in the Sound Card's applet?

What does Sonar report your latency as?

I assume you are using Input Monitoring. Do you need to for some reason, or can you turn it off?

Hi SilentSound,
Sorry to read of your problem.
Just a few things to check if you haven't already done so:

Routing-Motu audio Console
1.Motu Audio Console all inputs you enable list" From Computer "
2.Buffers are the same for both 2408's
3.Both 2408 are set to clock from internal PCI

Sonar-options
1.options>audio>driver profiles>32bit pcm left-justified
2.options>audio>advanced>synchronization>trigger and freewheel

Make sure to run wave profiler and check that your buffers match in Sonar. i.e. if you set Both Motu's to 64 samples buffer. then 64 should be listed in Sonar options>audio>driver profiles>dma buffer size.
Good Luck

Back