Sonar 4 Producer with Aardvark Q10

DigitalDon

Pardon the cross post but this will also be in the computer recording forum.

I just purchased another Aardvark Q10 (have 2 now), upgraded to Sonar 4 Producer from CW PA 9 and upgraded from Win 98SE to Win XP Pro w/SP2. Before upgrading to the Sonar and XP I checked the dual Q10 setup in Win 98SE and CW 9. Everything worked like it should. CW 9 saw both Q10's. Now with Sonar and XP installed Sonar doesn't see the Q10's. I've loaded several different versions of the Q10 driver but my "input" block on each Sonar channel strip only shows "none." I've tried wav profiler even though I think it just pertains to MIDI stuff which I don't use at this point. Sonar actually mapped the Q10's as MIDI devices but doesn't see the drivers at all for audio. My question in this forum: Is there something I haven't done within Sonar to set up this software to see the Q10's? I really believe it's a driver problem (Aardvark had several) but I wanted to clear any software setup problems in this forum first.

DD

uninstall the card in your hardare manager and let windows rediscover it as new hardware or just yank it out and put it back in. I had to do that with an old INCA88 back in the day.

Do you know what drivers you have available for the Aardvark?

This could be the result of not having WDM drivers available - particularly if you have another sound card (e.g., an onboard card). If Sonar is defaulting to WDM drivers, it will only find cards for which you have the appropriate drivers.

The reason it worked with Win98/PA9 is that those programs would have used MME drivers, rather than WDM. If you can't locate WDM drivers for your sound card, then I suggest you try switching your driver mode in Sonar to ASIO, and if that doesn't work, to MME.

You will, however, have significantly higher latency using MME drivers.

The latest drivers were supposed to include Aardvarks version of WDM drivers. I tried switching over to ASIO in Sonar with no luck. I think what I'll try is uninstalling Aardvark and Sonar, let XP find the cards, load in the Win98 driver (which is only MME), and sequentially load the newer drivers in order. I'll load Sonar after the first driver goes in and check it. I know an uninstall is required before each driver load but I'm sure there's always something (registry, etc) left after the uninstall. This might or might not be a good thing in this situation. I'll see.

Also, like I said earlier, Sonar actually mapped the Q10's as MIDI devices even though they only pass MIDI info rather than acting on it. That gives more credibility to the idea that Sonar isn't recognizing the audio drivers (WDM and ASIO) provided by Aardvark. Hmmmmm.

Oh yeah, I don't have any other soundcards in the computer. I also disabled the onboard sound in BIOS. Motherboard is an ABIT IC7G with a P4 3GHz CPU if your interested.

DD

So is WDM more desireable than ASIO?

i've been using asio for mine (aardvark q10 and sonar)

now to answer the first question, did you upgrade from Win98?

If so, you should do a full install, that's probably your problem. If not, weird. Let us know how your correction attempts go and i'll try to help from there.

TravisK - No I did a clean install. I formatted the HD then installed XP so there wouldn't be any files laying around to cause problems. I hope to be back on it this evening. Can you click on Advanced in your Aardvark Manager screen and let me know what version driver you are using?

Thanks,
DD

I have the latest version from the aardvark users support group

http://asg.hopto.org/

they seem to work ok, but i get some delays in recording with some weird skipping. but i thinki can fix that with some latency settings.

Hi Guys -

The last version of the Aardvark drivers were recommended for use with Sonar 3 and 4 only in ASIO configuration... The A|WDM stuff didn't work properly with the 7.13 release - use 7.04 if you absolutely must have A|WDM functionality. If so, please note that you must set Sonar to MME if you want to use the A|WDM functionality of the 7.04 driver as its design differed from the default WDM standard.

DigitalDon - I have a vague feeling that this was an open issue when Aardvark went under... I remember someone posting a similar issue with XP and 2 x Q10s on the Cakewalk forum - I can't remember a resolution... It might be worth your while to see if you can search to dig up that thread and then contact the original author.

Best of luck!

Q.

Thanks guys. Looks like I might need to reload everything with a single Q10 first to see if it works then add the 2nd one. I'll try all of the suggestions. Have to do the in-law thing this evening so I hope to get back on it tomorrow night.

DD

Ok, I got back on the Q10/Sonar/Win XP problem last night. First off I uninstalled both Sonar and Aardvark Manager. That was a lot of fun because neither program has a decent uninstall utility. I left both Q10's installed in the computer then loaded Aardvark (Ver 7.04). Loaded Sonar (which defaulted to WDM driver for audio). Of course Sonar didn't see the Q10's. I then went into Sonar and changed from WDM to ASIO. Had to close the program and open it back up after the change. I couldn't believe it. Sonar can now see both Q10's, all channels. Yeeeeaaaahhhhhhhh. Of course I can't leave well enough alone so tonight I'll uninstall the Aardvark ver 7.04 driver and install the latest version (7.20 I think). If this works (Sonar in ASIO mode of course) then I will format the drive and start everything from a clean slate. I'll do this because I've done a lot of installing/uninstalling and I'm sure the registry is full of leftovers that I'll never find. I'll report back on the results for other Aardvark owners who may be interested.

DD

Hurray!

Although, where did you find v7.20 driver?

Also - if it is working then personally I couldn't be bothered to reformat and reinstall everything. I would uninstall everything then use REGEDIT and then search for 'Q10', 'Aardvark', <the folder location> etc. Blow away anything you find and then reinstall.

Ciao,

Q.

Sorry about the version 7.20. It's actually version 7.13. On the same Aardvark Manager Advanced screen it says Version 7.13 and DSP 7.20. That's where the 7.20 came from. I didn't get a chance to play on the computer last night so I'm hoping to get back on it tonight. I'll report how it goes. I still want to format the drive and do a complete clean install. I only have XP, Sonar and Aardvark on it right now so now is the time to do it if I'm going to do it.
Oh yeah, I really like the Restore function in XP. From now on I will establish a restore point before adding/deleting any software. Makes for a really clean "uninstall" when you can restore a previous configuration.

DD

Back