Sonar 3 PE automation on mains out?

BloodHound

How can I put automation on the main out bus in Sonar 3 Producer edition? In Sonar 2.2 I used to be able to open the mains out in track view and put my automation envelope (e.g. main volume fade out) on the track view. In Sonar 3 I can only fine the mains out in the console view.

I managed to get round the problem by inserting a new bus and re-route everything through this bus, add automation there and then reroute this bus into the mains, but this is a long and hard way to get round the problem. Does anybody know an easier way?

The way to do this is to create a Main Buss A and point it to the soundcard. Then arm the Main Buss for automation. Sounds like you're already there.

The new version apparently doesn’t allow you direct automation of the soundcard buss from either the control or track view. Unless there is some hidden switch I may be missing, this is the only way I have found a work around too.

Another revelation is that you cannot route from an Aux buss back to an audio track. Something high end mixers can do. This is convenient for putting seperate EQs on two different versions of the same track. It's easy to work around this however but you have to create a separate buss.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yup, that's exactly what I found. Now we must start looking for that hidden switch because this is a real pain.

Do you know how I can force each new audio track I insert to route automatically to bus A? I know how to do it "manually" after inserting the new track and then click on the "out" button, but it would be so much easier if it does it automatically.

Thanks. Yup, that's exactly what I found. Now we must start looking for that hidden switch because this is a real pain.

Do you know how I can force each new audio track I insert to route automatically to bus A? I know how to do it "manually" after inserting the new track and then click on the "out" button, but it would be so much easier if it does it automatically.

Back