-~* Sonar 3 Compression, Any good? *~-

Define 'best compression'.

What I would call the right approach for a delicate acoustic guitar would be completely different to what I would do for a wall of distorted guitar. Another person might be the exact opposite.

Compression is just another tool to help you sculpt your sound.

What are you trying to achieve by using compression and what are you using it on?

Q.

if its the Ultrafunk compressor its definitly useable the stock cakewalk compressor I see as more of a lo fi effect then a dynamic processing YMMV

Qwerty said:
Define 'best compression'.

What I would call the right approach for a delicate acoustic guitar would be completely different to what I would do for a wall of distorted guitar. Another person might be the exact opposite.

Compression is just another tool to help you sculpt your sound.

What are you trying to achieve by using compression and what are you using it on?

Q.

By meaning "good compression" I mean having the versatility of being able to work well with acousic as well distorted guitar. However, my main concern is compressing distored guitar. My older program, Pro Tracks Plus 2, when every time the guitar "chugged" (after I applied its compression) it just sounded like a muffle.

I would also like to acheive an exceptional compression to compress the final mix just to tighten everything up.

The Sonitus is not going to breath like an external unit. It's fairly uncolored but if you go deep on the threshold and use the limiter button then it can be OK for guitars. You can probably get more out of the multiband than the standard single band compressor.

You cannot however get it to sing like a real compressor on clean leads.

The multiband can be used on the 2 buss and works pretty good. For crunching stuff though, its just not there. You might want to take a look at the UAD-1 for the classic compression sound.

Back