Sonar 3.0/M-Audio questions

Picker

I am using Cakewalk Sonar 3 Producer and an M-Audio Delta 66 w/ Omni studio and I had two questions.

1. I made an MP3 for the first time today from a file I had in Cakewalk. When I exported to the MP3, it said Cakewalk MP3 Encoder Trial version. Does this mean that eventually in order to make mp3s I will have to purchase an extra piece of software? I had thought Sonar would include this.

2. The M-Audio Delta 66 is a great soundcard, but it does not do MIDI. I would like to use the metronome and use the tutorials in cakewalk, both of which require MIDI. What is the best/least expensive way to accomplish this. At the moment, I have no MIDI devices etc. 2nd soundcard? (SB Live!) or something else I could use later if I get a keyboard?

Thanks

Picker said:
I am using Cakewalk Sonar 3 Producer and an M-Audio Delta 66 w/ Omni studio and I had two questions.

1. I made an MP3 for the first time today from a file I had in Cakewalk. When I exported to the MP3, it said Cakewalk MP3 Encoder Trial version. Does this mean that eventually in order to make mp3s I will have to purchase an extra piece of software? I had thought Sonar would include this.

In short, yes. However, there are free ones available on the internet. Also, if you originally owned Pro Audio 9, then you still have the license to use the one in Sonar without restrictions.

2. The M-Audio Delta 66 is a great soundcard, but it does not do MIDI. I would like to use the metronome and use the tutorials in cakewalk, both of which require MIDI. What is the best/least expensive way to accomplish this. At the moment, I have no MIDI devices etc. 2nd soundcard? (SB Live!) or something else I could use later if I get a keyboard?

For the midi, why don't you just use a softsynth? Edirol VSC is bundled with Sonar (at least it was with 2.0). However, that won't work for the built in metronome. You can work around that by creating your own click track and using a softsynth. Or get a copy of Ping. I think it costs about $10.

Thanks

"For the midi, why don't you just use a softsynth? Edirol VSC is bundled with Sonar (at least it was with 2.0). However, that won't work for the built in metronome. You can work around that by creating your own click track and using a softsynth. Or get a copy of Ping. I think it costs about $10."

So I can route the MIDI output to softsynth for the tutorials etc? I don't need a hardware solution?

It is easy.

Insert>>> DXi synth

....choose one.. say Edirol VSC
....select create "MIDI source track"
....select Create "first synth audio output"

there, done.

Then go to PRV (piano roll view) for the MIDI track, and insert the click track you want... it will likely be playing a piano by default, but you can change that very easily.

Thanks... Managed to get the Tutorials working... It was easy, just insered Edorl VSC synth and all the MIDI tracks used it.

I'll try making a MIDI metronome over the weekend. Thanks agian.

:D

Back