Sonar 2.2 asio problem with motu 24i

Capt. Snazzy

crap, shouldn't have touched anything, had it working for so long, but then i installed the 2.2 update, and wanted to try using the asio driver with the motu, i've always gotten so much lower latency in cubase, and i figured the asio driver is one of the reasons. anyway, does anyone have working buffer settings or any pointers on making this work? i'm getting constant dropout with the motu set at all different buffer sizes.

Athlon xp 1800
1GB RAM
System Drive (20GB i think)
Audio RAID 80GB (2x40)
win xp, totally updated
newest via chipset drivers.
newest motu 324 drivers.
Sonar 2.2 XL

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I'm not familiar with MOTU products. But right after you install new driver, you need to do wave profiler again and restart SONAR before you switch to select ASIO driver. After select ASIO driver, restart SONAR again. It should work just fine. And FYI, I never install any driver for my VIA chipset. I heard so many people had a trouble working audio with VIA driver installed. Let Windows manage it. I could be wrong, so take it easy...

Hope it helps.
;)
Jaymz

thanks

the options in the audio sub-menu are completely different once asio is selected, so i'm assuming you mean to run the wave profiler before switching to asio? that option is no longer present once asio drivers are in effect. you can't make any changes within sonar to buffer sizes, and the latency slider doesn't work.
all changes have to be made in your asio device's control panel.
i'm going to try it like that, i'll post results later.
also, with the via stuff, it is tougher to get working well than stock MS drivers, but there's a reason updates are released.
overall i've had great success using via chipset motherboards,
you just got to stay on top of things.

Thanks for the reply, i'll let everyone know how it goes.

Capt. Snazzy said:
the options in the audio sub-menu are completely different once asio is selected, so i'm assuming you mean to run the wave profiler before switching to asio? that option is no longer present once asio drivers are in effect. you can't make any changes within sonar to buffer sizes, and the latency slider doesn't work.
all changes have to be made in your asio device's control panel.

Aye aye... That's correct, Capn :cool:.
You were right. After installing the new driver in Windows Control Panel, you need to open SONAR (while in Options --> Audio --> Advanced tab is still using WDM/KS driver), run the wave profiler. Close SONAR. Restart SONAR, go to Options --> Audio --> Advanced tab again, now switch to ASIO driver. Close SONAR, restart SONAR. Now you won't see any wave profiler anymore, instead ASIO Panel. Everything will be just fine. Now you just have to make an adjustment with your ASIO panel as necessary.

;)
Jaymz

James Argo said:
Aye aye... That's correct, Capn :cool:.
You were right. After installing the new driver in Windows Control Panel, you need to open SONAR (while in Options --> Audio --> Advanced tab is still using WDM/KS driver), run the wave profiler. Close SONAR. Restart SONAR, go to Options --> Audio --> Advanced tab again, now switch to ASIO driver. Close SONAR, restart SONAR. Now you won't see any wave profiler anymore, instead ASIO Panel. Everything will be just fine. Now you just have to make an adjustment with your ASIO panel as necessary.
There is no need to run the wave-profiler before switching to ASIO-drivers. ASIO doesen't read the Waveprofiler-settings anyway... ;)

got it going

man, the asio drivers are so much faster!
the problem turned out to be an effect i was using, it was sonic foundry's pitch shifter, and turns out it causes dropout even when it's the only live effect going, and the there's only one track in the project. i'm guessing that either the effect, which is from an older SF suite, is no good with newer direct x installs, or it's just asking too much to expect to be able to pitch shift down an octave in real-time. i wouldn't think the latter would be the case, especially considering my machine and what i've done with it in the past, so i'm leaning towards something along the lines of directx version incompatability. i'll will continue to look into this and post whatever i find.

Thanks everyone for your quick responses and helpful tips!

Oh... you should have told us about the Sonic Foundry Pitch-shifter, then I could tell you to get rid of it (as a realtime effect, that is). :D

No really, I had a lot of problems with a project. Checked everything! But not the Sonic Foundry Pitch-shifter :(. Took me 2 months to figure that out...

And just a note: ASIO-drivers aren't necessarily better than WDM. It's up to the people who write the drivers... ;)

Back