Sonar 2.0 bug?

lost studios

Hi all.
I have just upgraded to Sonar 2.0. Everything seems to work just fine....that is until I try and record something. lol. I must be doing something wrong.... but have never experienced this in earlier versions of Sonar. This is the problem....
I am recording a bass guitar directly into my ART DI/0 tube preamp, converting it within the unit, and sending a S/PDIF signal to my AP2496. I am practicing good gain staging within the preamp. In Sonar I set my meter to a 12db scale so I can really zoom in and see how close I am to clipping. I get as close as possible to clipping (I'm using about 2db of trim as well.) At this point, I feel as I have captured some pristine signal.

In the track view, I notice that the signal I just recorded looks small and meager... much like the signal I captured years ago not knowing what gain staging meant!

What gives? I even recorded the bass and clipped the shizer out of it and when I look at the audio file in the track view, the clipped notes don't even go off the edge of the audio track like it use to. I know something has to be wrong because in Sonar 2.0, there is that audio scale next to each track. The audio I recorded from the bass the first time that was ever so hot (about -1db peak, -6db RMS), rates on the audio scale at -6db, and mind you that is where the highest peaks lie! The real energy of the bass lies at about -9db or more! Why do they look so small in the track view??

Any ideas?

regards
jay

Back