"somewhere in the night"

MusicalSound

I recorded this at UCONN the other day in the piano lockers. This was tracked entirely digitally! The vocals and piano were recorded simultaneously! It is a 6' Yamaha Grand piano! I played the other instruments including the mellotron and bass guitar. I was at UCON practicing for something else and decided to slap together a rough demo of this song. Yes it is a sappy song, but I like how it is over-arranged. Check it out! 1973 Accutronics Spring reverb on vocals.

Attachments

• Somewhere In The Night.mp3
    6 MB · Views: 13
Starts like a Carpenters song and morphed into something even more mawkish.
The mellotorn isn't bad. I find that 'tron lines need a fair bit of reverb to settle into a mix properly - you also seem to have finished the lines rather abruptly.
Again you've placed the vocals strangely in the mix - could be use of spring reverb reverb or something but it doesn't seem to sit centrally.
The piano is disappointing mono.
Bass guitar? Really? It almost disappears early on there's a lot of muddiness in the mix that may account for me not noticing it clearly on the 1st listen. It could easily be a bass line on a keyboard. the only time it's clealy a bass is when you played a descending line up high but even then some sort of effect.treatment.reverb muddied it and spread it across the image.

it sounds a bit too left heavy? not sure if I am imagining this...

anyway I like the clear sound, much better than tape hiss lol the piano sounds great, vocals are good but the bass guitar is a little muddy, could do with a bit less low end possibly, and I'm not sure if it's the reverb that is causing muddyness. Love the mellotron! and like the arrangement.

That's a lot of exclamations! What the what is UCONN?! I am trapped in the 70's myself so this invokes a bit of nostalgia for me! I can visualize myself sitting in the living room on green shag carpet, wearing a burgundy velour sweater, while listening to the radio with my folks! This is nicely played! Much too drenched in reverb, IMO! You've got a good set of pipes on you! Nice one! It must be awkward to see all these exclamations! OMG!

Back