Sometimes I Hate Depreciation Due To Technology Advances

JohnnyMan

I was just on ebay and I found a VS880 with the effects card and CD burner for the asking price is $335!!

I paid $1800 for mine and an additional $500 for the CD burner back in 1998.

I very much enjoy depreciation when it’s in my favour but it pisses me off when I think of all the loot I dropped. Especially now since I went to computer based (Sonar) and I see the VS880 over there sitting in the corner dreaming of the glory days.

Yes, I have bought new stuff and watched it lose half its value in a few years and I have bought used stuff at 1/4 of its original cost. I like buying new gear because I can be confident that it hasn't had a life of abuse and I can easily return it if it doesn't work. Getting that good deal on something used is cool also. I guess if someone could take a long view of things and be patient they could set their sites on a new piece of gear now and wait a few years until it is out of production and 1/4 of its original price before buying it. It seems like this would work for keyboards and stand alone recorders...not sure how it would work with microphones, guitars, and other stuff.

mawtangent said:
Yes, I have bought new stuff and watched it lose half its value in a few years and I have bought used stuff at 1/4 of its original cost. I like buying new gear because I can be confident that it hasn't had a life of abuse and I can easily return it if it doesn't work. Getting that good deal on something used is cool also. I guess if someone could take a long view of things and be patient they could set their sites on a new piece of gear now and wait a few years until it is out of production and 1/4 of its original price before buying it. It seems like this would work for keyboards and stand alone recorders...not sure how it would work with microphones, guitars, and other stuff.

You're right. I'd be hesitant to buy a second hand mic but maybe not a guitar. I currently have a second-hand Epiphone Les Paul copy that I really enjoy playing.

Back