Something's eating my bass

wimat

I'm in a new room with new monitors and I can't seem to get a decent level on bass and sometimes the kick. I mean, I need to really crank it when mixing to show up when burned to disc and played somewhere else. It's ridiculous how loud I need to mix it in.

I'm guessing it's some room mode or something. Is there any good fix for this?

It's a rectangular room, with some Tannoy reveal actives aiming the long way down the room on my desk. Maybe my desk is acting as a resonator or something. I have them on mopads.

Any help would be great.

You need bass traps. Probably lots of theml. I just cut off all 90Ø corners from floor to ceiling 2' wide with 3" thick rigid fiberglas. It has made a world of difference.

It's funny, he's the first one I've heard say the end up bass shy on other systems. It usually seems to be the other way around.

Dawg,

Yes, usually the problem is a big null around 70-120 Hz right where you sit while mixing. But the real issue is how far in front of the rear wall you are, and some locations give too much bass rather than too little.

--Ethan

Yeah, I usually read about too much bass, that's why I posted. Thanks for all of the advise, looks like I'm in for some work.

Back