Something you might not know about condenser microphone capsules

I am still a bit baffled by the somewhat hostile responses you got, Browneyes. I am no fan of China-made gear, but if kidvybes had not "outed" you, no one would know- nor care, I suspect.

Whilst I'm enjoying the free flow of information, I am curious as to why Browneyes' posts read like a textbook...

He/she is either writing a book, or writing from a book.

I don't care, just curious.

Been there done that ain't gonna do it no mo'! On that topic, you got any corrugated 2.5 micron foil you can sell me? I don't have my old corrugation rig (a Yamaha keyboard modulation wheel, if you can believe that) anymore :( I don't need much . . .

I have anything between 0.6um and 6um. What width do you need (or what mic we are talking about)? What kind of corrugation?

How a microphone is made

You should find this video interesting (if you have not seen it before):-

How it's Made - Microphpones.

It shows how a Neumann U87 is made, including the manufacture of the transducer itself in the clean room.

Very interesting.

images

Yes, I work for that company. But I am not "marketing" anything HERE.

on the website http://www.aseyer.com/proend.asp?oid=2
you can find that the guy says that the S/N of the mic is 100dB. (this means the noise level of the mic is 94-100= -6 dB SPL, 13db less than TLM103 ).
but at the mean time, the guy said that the Noise level of the mic is 11dB.

so, the conclusion is: the guy is an ass....

the guy know nothing about microphone , the guy bought mics from Ningbo /Shanghai , and then the guy want to sell the mic to you guys..

Well, browneyes, I was wondering why some of those things were made of plastic, and others were made of metal, but I was pretty much staying in one place... not wandering anywhere.:D

Honestly, I thought the XLR connector at the base of the mic was the most important part of the microphone's sound.
Without it, it don't make a sound. I could be wrong. My mileage may vary and I could run out of gas.

Aluminum? With people breathing on it? Wouldn't that oxidize faster than a rusty nail in a bucket of water?

Aluminum is self-passivating, it grows its own oxide layer. If breathing on it was a problem then the old bare aluminum United Airline planes would crumble to dust when passing through the first rain storm. :D

Aluminum is self-passivating, it grows its own oxide layer. If breathing on it was a problem then the old bare aluminum United Airline planes would crumble to dust when passing through the first rain storm. :D

I always figured those were anodized.

Besides, the instantaneous oxide layer is about 40 angstroms, which is a pretty good chunk of the sputtering thickness on a typical mic, AFAIK....

Except that these foam things degrade with age as well. They turn into dust in and of themselves. Dust that might have an electrostatic attraction to the mics business end. In combination with the moisture of breath can be quite the mud maker.

I "might" have a fix for that.....
Fleece cloth sewn into a can shape cover and pulled down over the grille head. Would last for years.
Will have to investigate how well it resists humidity though.

on the website °®ÉùÀÖ¶û:´óÑÛ¾¦,Âó¿Ë·ç£¬³¬´óÕñĤ,µçÈÝÂó¿Ë·ç£¬ÀÏÌÕ£¬×¨ÒµÂ¼ÒôÂó¿Ë·ç£¬aseyerÂó¿Ë·ç£¬D36B,¸ßÆ·ÖÊ»°·Å
you can find that the guy says that the S/N of the mic is 100dB. (this means the noise level of the mic is 94-100= -6 dB SPL, 13db less than TLM103 ).
but at the mean time, the guy said that the Noise level of the mic is 11dB.

so, the conclusion is: the guy is an ass....

the guy know nothing about microphone , the guy bought mics from Ningbo /Shanghai , and then the guy want to sell the mic to you guys..

I have a feeling that it is not a good idea to defend our products here, because of the rules of this forum. Let's stay within the topic. Thank you!

Hey Browneyes
you said your are an engineer, not a sales woman/man.
1: can you explain how a mic can be with 11dB-A noise level and 100dB S/N at the mean time?
2: do you know the basic rule of mic : S/N + noise level(A weighted) = 94dB ?
3: and seems most of what you post here was copied from a Chinese BBS thread, on the thread, a guy showed the history of 797audio LDC capsule : reason why the orignal metal ring of 797audio LDC capsule changed to be Teflon paint Ring, and finally to be ceramic Ring.

Hey Browneyes
you said your are an engineer, not a sales woman/man.
1: can you explain how a mic can be with 11dB-A noise level and 100dB S/N at the mean time?
2: do you know the basic rule of mic : S/N + noise level(A weighted) = 94dB ?
3: and seems most of what you post here was copied from a Chinese BBS thread, on the thread, a guy showed the history of 797audio LDC capsule : reason why the orignal metal ring of 797audio LDC capsule changed to be Teflon paint Ring, and finally to be ceramic Ring.

...and what Chinese Mic Manufacturer do you work for?

Nicely put. And don't forget that there are ribbon microphones "that uses a thin aluminum, duraluminum or nanofilm ribbon placed between the poles of a magnet to generate voltages by electromagnetic induction. "(quote from Wikipedia)

...and what Chinese Mic Manufacturer do you work for?

I do not work for any.. just want to make things clear.. so that new guys not be confused.

Chili,
have you ever saw a studio mic mic with 100dB S/N ?
" to a mic, S/N + A weighted noise level =94 dB ", do you agree ? or don't you know?

Back