something wrong with M80 or me?

ClausRogge

My Fostex M80 arrived today and I connected it at once - seems to be working, records and all. My mixer (Behringer 802) is too small so in order to test the device, I have to connect and disconnect single channels bt here goes ...
I connect guitar to ch1, FX out to M80. Do all the required things on the machine according to manual. Tape runs, I play, meters get little red dots all over them.
I stop, rewind, play. The same two outputs that my recording went into are connected to "Tape In" on the mixer. No lights flash on the meters. No sound reaches my headphones (yes, 2track to mix is on).
But no matter what, the meters should blink whne I play back. Shouldn´t they? Have I gotten something terribly wrong (I hope so!) or is the machine broke?

One thing that I realise now - the manual says (section 4, recording and playback; recording initial tracks, 2): "Choose the specific trak to be recorded by depressing the appropriate record track buttons. THE LEDS ABOVE THE TRACK METERS WILL BLINK"
well they don´t blink ... am I totally missing something? There are not that many knobs and buttons on this machine ... I´m afraid something´s wrong with it.

Make sure you have the record ready buttons enabled for the tracks you want to record to, and be sure you to press the same buttons again to take those tracks out of record ready mode so you can hear what’s been recorded to tape.

You posted while I was replying.

Yes, with a tape loaded the LEDs for tracks in record ready mode should blink.

Found the error ... the Head Shield Gate was out so the tape was kept away from the heads and I didn´t notice. What a relief! Thank you for your help Beck.

Found the error ... the Head Shield Gate was out so the tape was kept away from the heads and I didn´t notice. What a relief! Thank you for your help Beck.

Ha ha I have done that more than once, I even had a tech do it when he was testing the machine.

Don't feel bad.
Alan

Back