Something I'm actually proud of...

nfgrufio

This is a little rock tune that my band has been working on for a few months now. We did all the recording and mixing on our own, in our basement "setup". We recently had it mastered by Rodney Mills in Atlanta and we love the results. It gave it just the right amount off pump and breath that it needed.

I would love to here some opinions/critiques on the song as well as tracking/mixing techniques. This is our first official complete song as a band as well as recording nerds. Although the drums need help....I'm sure you can figure out why...

Hello, as you said, the first thing that comes to mind are the drums, specially the kick, it sounds too tight. The rest sounds very good. You're right to feel proud, is your song, it doesn't matter if there are things to improve or people tell you that something sucks, is your song and I can tell that there is a lot of work here. So keep rocking!!!

Regards.

The reason the drums are a little all over the place is because they are just midi drums... We couldn't get a reliable drummer that would be able to play the stuff to our taste, so we decided to try our first song with programmed drums.
Although the drums definitely could have turned out better, Im still overall very pleased with the final product. Probably going to be the last time we do that with drums though, I'm already over the whole "program your drums" thing...

But this is our attempt at bringing a little bit of honest rock to the table, something we feel has been missing in music for a while now.

And thanks for you honest words, zero00. They mean a lot!

Sounds really good to me through phone/headphones. Really good song, I enjoyed the listen. I'll be back later for a proper listen.

Sounded OK. Good singing.

The guitars sounded decent, but they're missing a little crispness. They sound slightly muffled - missing that little sparkle that you might find above 5Khz or so.

The same could be said for the vocals. Missing a little clarity and sparkle on the high end. They're also sitting behind the guitars. I can hear the rhythm guits much easier than I can hear the singer.

Bass sounds good.

Drums are decent for programmed. The toms and kick sound a bit rumbly. The level balance between the snare and the cymbals seemed a bit off to me. Snare was a bit loud and the cymbals were a bit soft. Not by much, just a db or so each.

Loving the suggestions guys.

I believe you're right on the money, TripleM.
But the one thing that bothers me most is the vocals...
Wishing I could take your mixing suggestions to the song but unfortunately the song is final, but it's nothing I can't live with. Hopefully.

But I'm definitely taking all these suggestions for our next track, and learning from our mistakes.

For all who is interested, here is our next track we've been working on....unmixed, unmastered and totally unfinished, with a few scratch vocals in the chorus.

Would also love some feedback on this song as far as production/songwriting goes, can never have too much.

...and here is a link to the original song in the original post, for any comparing :)
https://soundcloud.com/stuntchild/bm-edit

I love the overall sound...very professional and together sounding. (The "unmixed" version, your first finished song isn't available anymore.)
One critique I do have though on the song itself...to me it was a bit boring because of just two chords and such a basic beat. I know there will be vocals but...I guess I'd give it a more interesting beat or something if you're going to stick with just two chords.

I love the overall sound...very professional and together sounding. (The "unmixed" version, your first finished song isn't available anymore.)
One critique I do have though on the song itself...to me it was a bit boring because of just two chords and such a basic beat. I know there will be vocals but...I guess I'd give it a more interesting beat or something if you're going to stick with just two chords.

I went ahead and linked our previous song within my previous reply, for comparisons.

Thanks for the critique!

I've definitely taken into consideration the "boring" factor of this tune, and working on some things to liven it up a little.

Back