something fun for $80

fluxburn

Hi, well its christmas and we do this secret santa thing, me and my sisters. The price is $80 and I was thinking of what to ask for.

So what do you think is the coolest item to pump sound through for $80 (used I am guessing)

I a jomox and roland tb-303 that I love to pump through the aux sends out my mixer into the patchbay that has distorion and filter pedals. I also have a RNC that I love to use.

So I already have a RNC
Electroc Harmonix Tube Zipper and Hot Tubes(sorta overlaping here)
Moogerfooger Lowpass filter

A Cheap ass delay would be really really cool

So what is the coolest Live oriented piece of hardware. I was thinking maybe a zoom effects box or something? I used to have a vocoder on my ms2000r I sold, I miss it. I have a paia kit for one, but I messed up somewhere and just about completely lost interest in the project all together. Also the health concerns of soldering are disconerning, I actually had trouble breathing from the inhaling some vapors.

Last edited:
check out ebay for some old fx maybe?
lpx-1, blablabla, yamaha, roland srv-330, roland srv i have NEVER tried any of these...but do a search for the lpx-1 on this board here and you'll find some names and you could search for them on ebay (if you fancy that fx)

check out ebay for some old fx maybe?
lpx-1, blablabla, yamaha, roland srv-330, roland srv i have NEVER tried any of these...but do a search for the lpx-1 on this board here and you'll find some names and you could search for them on ebay (if you fancy that fx)

I used to have those boss pedals, those sucked ass compared to the electro harmonix and the moog filter does sound like god itself. For some reason I think dan electro pedals suck a nut just like the boss pedals do.

oh gosh, Im gonna get ten of these!!! And paint the in different colors.. that'll be an awesome studio!!!

Fluxburn the best $100 I spent in the past couple of years was on a pair of used dbx 163's. Dunno how EBay-literate your sisters are, but these things are coming up all the time (and on BBSes etc).

The 163 is a compressor that is somewhat noisy (nothing like the 166 or other crappy comps though -- just noisier than your RNC). I don't know how they did it, but it sounds to me like a budget 1176 whenever you strap it on a drum bus. Kicks become aggressive, toms get tons of punch, etc, and they all have this amazing midrange "thwack" sound that isn't there with just about any other compressor.

These days one can get a pair for under $80, but that would require some digging. A single unit is great too, and can easily be had for $50.

Cheers + hope whatever you end up getting sounds fantastic! :)

Johann

Come on DJL, we all know if you had $80 lying around you'd pop out and buy an SP B1 ... don't we?:eek::eek:

Wait a minute ... $80 for a bottle of wine???!!!?!?!?!?!

I am just going to get a couple hookers, a gram of coke, and stop by planned parenthood for some free condoms.

Back