Someone explain matched pair mics and what recording in stereo is!

SKYflyer

I guess matched pair mics make it so that they will not have any phase issues when you record one source with the two mics, right? So when you record something with the two mics, it comes into your recording software as two tracks. What do you do with the two tracks? Are you supposed to pan one hard left and one hard right to make the stereo image from using two mics? Is this how one creates a stereo recording with matched pair mics by panning each mic hard left and hard right?

SKYflyer said:
I guess matched pair mics make it so that they will not have any phase issues when you record one source with the two mics, right?
Wrong. If a pair of mics is being sold as "matched" that means that their response characteristics are supposed to be nearly identical, meaning they each "hear" a source the same way. Mic placement is usually responsible for phase issues.
SKYflyer said:
So when you record something with the two mics, it comes into your recording software as two tracks.
If you have it set up that way, yes. You can record two mics to a stereo track. It is also possible to use two mics on a source and still only record a mono track.
SKYflyer said:
What do you do with the two tracks? Are you supposed to pan one hard left and one hard right to make the stereo image from using two mics?
If you record it as a stereo track, the panning will be built-in.[
SKYflyer said:
Is this how one creates a stereo recording with matched pair mics by panning each mic hard left and hard right?
Generally, yes.

Good questions for a noob. Sounds like you've got some grey matter happening. :cool:

Last edited:
What Mad said.
You pay a lot extra for "matched" pairs so be sure they are.
The phase issues come from placement & connections. Make sure you've phase tested your set up.
Cheers
rayC

Also of note... you do not need a matched pair of mics for effective stereo recording. It is a nice to have and really icing on the cake, but not necessary by any stretch of the imagination. Also, there are several techniques for recording in stereo. I often point newbs to a thread I posted on another forum where I illustrate several stereo techniques.

http://audiominds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2980

MadAudio said:
Good questions for a noob. Sounds like you've got some grey matter happening. :cool:
lol thanks :p
very helpful response, MadAudio.

So if i record the 2 mics onto one stereo track, is the track automatically configured so that it pans one mic hard left and the other one hard right? If so, I assume haveing a stereo track would be identical to having 2 regular mono tracks (one track for each mic), with one track panned hard left and the other panned hard right.

Another question: is buying 2 of these mics http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--BEHB2PRO essentially a matched pair set? Despite that they aren't advertised as a matched pair (they are sold in singles), I assume that buying 2 of the same mic would mean they have identical frequency responses etc similar to a matched pair set, correct?

Last question (for now): how do I test for phase issues when I set up my recording/mic placement? How can I correct any noticed phase issues? Is it simply a matter of guess and check, randomly moving mics around the room until the phase issues dissapear?

SKYflyer said:
Last question (for now): how do I test for phase issues when I set up my recording/mic placement? How can I correct any noticed phase issues? Is it simply a matter of guess and check, randomly moving mics around the room until the phase issues dissapear?
You will want to measure the mics to make sure they are equidistant from the source. If they are the same distance, you SHOULDN'T have any issues. This is most important when using a spaced pair configuration. If you use an XY, MS, or ORTF technique phase is not as much of an issue. The best way to see if you're having phase problems is to use the phase reversal switch (if you have one) on your mixer or DAW.

SKYflyer said:
Another question: is buying 2 of these mics http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--BEHB2PRO essentially a matched pair set? Despite that they aren't advertised as a matched pair (they are sold in singles), I assume that buying 2 of the same mic would mean they have identical frequency responses etc similar to a matched pair set, correct?

wrong. these are not a matched pair, despite being the identical model. there will be slight differences between each mic produced, which is why they can market a more expensive "matched pair". but to be honest with you, i'm not convinced how important it is to have a matched pair. perhaps with a compnay like behringer, who'll use cheap components with low tolerances, you may hear a difference..but it most cases, i don't think its worth the extra $.

Back