someone care to play bass for me?

philpereira

I don't know if this is an appropriate place for this, so forgive me if it isn't. I have this song I've been working on and have been looking for someone to play bass for it. I figured since this is a guitar and bass forum, I'd post here. here's the song

http://home.comcast.net/~fgpereira/Mixdown2.wma it's a song I've had around for a while and have tried other forums to see if anyone was willing to take a stab at it, but no one has ever bitten. feel free to PM me or reply here if you're interested.

and if anyone just wishes to add their opinion, you're more than welcome, of course! thanks

I'll give it a shot :) I'll give it to you in a few days.

Word of advice though: I don't think a bassline is what you need the most. I'm hearing 2 chord patterns and a drummer, that's it. No excitement or buildup at all. Try to work on the tention buildup more :)

What key is it in? Seems a bass line would follow just a pedal tone, and you could probably just use a keyboard with a grand piano voicing to fill in the bass. I am hearing an upright bass for this.

i really have no idea what key it's in. i'm very theory challenged and just play what feels right. i don't have access to a piano or keyboard so that solution isn't feasible.

halion: thanks, looking forward to hearing what you can add. the song is far from being completed. i like it's simplicity though and i really only envision adding vocals and loads of lead guitar (actually i'm hoping my friend who wrote the beginning chord sequence can do that). hopefully everything will come together at the end.

the main riff sounds like b and f sharp, second is in the key of g sharp i think.
I'm gonna throw a bass line on this one too, it'll be prob a week b4 i get my 4 track fixed to send anything to ya tho. I'll let you know when i get something.....

cool, it'll be interesting to see different ideas for bass on this song. it's one, i feel, that is open to multiple interpretations.

Well since I have no way of recording anything right now (I've spent a couple grand on putting a "studio" together but haven't actually set it up yet. :( )......I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in...

It sounds to me like the bass would almost take a "lead guitar" postion here since there isn't much else going on...........of course this is coming from a lead guitarist who also plays bass :)

Rick

i think you hit the nail on the head werner, i definitely think this song should be driven by the bass as sort of a lead instrument that can stand out. we'll see what these folks come up with :)

Yeah, I can hear the riffs/licks in my head when I'm listening to the track.....

Of course I hear lots of stuff in my head...:)

Rick

What are the changes? I can't hear chords to save my life.

What I think it really needs, aside from a melody, is a big ol' dose of Steve Winwood or Greg Rollie-type B3.

Either that, or you could take it big jazzbox/upright bass/small combo kit with mostly light tom work. Sax or coronet would help, too.

Or, Eric Gale/Stuff full-fledged mid-70's disco jazz. Break out that wah-wah.

Or,...

Seriously, somebody tell me the chords. This could be fun.

I could try to throw something down for you tonight. How do you want it sent back to you? Should I just mix the bass with what you have or should I make a seperate wave file for you to import?
What do you record with?

Ed

hi ed, a separate wav file will be good, i have the speed to download it :) if you can host it somewhere, i can download it quick. i record with audition, so i just import a wav into a session file. by the way, i lived in columbia for a little while last year, and my grad school prof lives there. talk to ya soon

I'm not making any promises, but (Phil) could you shoot me the wavs? I've got some ideas. Finding the time is going to be a problem.

Back