somebody help pleeaaase!!!!!

corpsee

Hi folks.
Well Im tearing my hair out in chunks because of this.
This didnt use to happen but now when I connect my microphone(or guitar/synth) to the mic input of my computer I just hear noise, no signal, not even a distorted one. This has only been happening since a few days ago, before that I could record. I am fairly new to this game (computers not music) and so when similar problems have occoured beforehand it has been some stupidity on my part such as the mic level being set to mute in my soundcards mixer device (SigmaTel) however having learned the error of my ways I have checked in all such things plus in "control panel" etc..
Im worried sick that something might be broken and as Im sure you`ll all appreciate a musician with a computer unable to record audio signals is a bit of a joke.
Thanks for reading this, any help would be a lifesaver

Unless your soundcard has a built-in preamp, which I doubt, I'm surprised you could ever get any signal to record from it. The normal recording chain is microphone => preamp => soundcard.

preamp

I know that I should have a preamp allthough Im not 100% sure what they do (boost the level of sound?) and I plan to get one after Ive upgraded my shitty sound "chip" to a decent card.
But trust me, Im not saying that it was great quality or anything but until a few days ago I COULD record audio.
Now I can`t. Any takers?

tdukex, thanks for replying anyhows. Its just that I need to know whats gone wrong so that now I can`t record

corpsee said:
tdukex, thanks for replying anyhows. Its just that I need to know whats gone wrong so that now I can`t record

If you have been plugging your guitar directly into your card's mic input, you might have sizzled something. Stop doing that.

For $79 you can get an M-Audio Audiobuddy preamp.

For another $35 you can get a Soundblaster Live Value soundcard.

$115 is pretty inexpensive to get into digital audio recording and to achieve some pretty decent results.

Do yourself a favor and take the dive.

Thanks

I think I definately will! I didnt realise that
I just hope it hasnt blown already
By the way thank you for your earlier advice ( mic-preamp-soundcard)
I didnt know that either
Anyway, your replys have been very enlightening for me as a beginner especially the last one, I really appreciate it and hope your own recording goes well.
Corpsee

Back