Some upbeat poppy rock.

Chris.

Probably pretty typical. Just got done watching MiLAR so I actually did some rides on the build ups with the toms and guitars.

No, the band isn't perfect. Especially the bassist...

Last edited:
Not a fan of the snare tone, but that could be a personal preference thing. Its good for what it is. Despite what you say, the musicianship is actually pretty good. The chord progressions are typical but they don't seem cliche.

I almost feel that the acoustic guitar being thrown in doesn't seem to fit, did it play the whole time? I have trouble hearing it underneath everything else.

Not a fan of the snare tone, but that could be a personal preference thing. Its good for what it is. Despite what you say, the musicianship is actually pretty good. The chord progressions are typical but they don't seem cliche.

I almost feel that the acoustic guitar being thrown in doesn't seem to fit, did it play the whole time? I have trouble hearing it underneath everything else.

Yeah, the acoustic plays out in the end when everything comes in.

I think the drums get a little muddy/boomy during the longer tom fills.

What don't you like about the snare tone?

I didn't mind the snare but it is a tad too much up front. This song reminds me more of Greenday. Maybe get rid of the acoustic gtrs and add another dirty rhythm track and replace the acoustic towards the end with clean tele sound? Just some suggestions. The vox sounded good and laid well in the mix. Good song overall.

Myx

Not a band song. Pretty tame and non-threatening. Typical radio pop rock. Not a bad mix. I personally hate that snare tone. It sounds like a coffee can with no warmth or body. Way too metallic sounding. The rest of the kit sounds pretty good for the genre. The vocal performance seems kind of weak and timid. Like he's holding a little back and missing a few notes. Not bad overall though.

The vocal performance seems kind of weak and timid. Like he's holding a little back and missing a few notes. Not bad overall though.

I got the same impression. It sounded too much like it was his first time recording.

Second time. I recorded them about a year ago. :D

Newer mix, probably final:

Nice track!
I rather like the snare poping like that. I like the song too. The tracks were well recorded... the guitars sound pretty tight to me.
If I could give advice, it would be in the area of compression and EQ. As home recordists, I think this is where we get it wrong. Some folks even think that compression is to be avoided like the plague. Horse poo. Doing so will continue to make one's recordings sound like they came out of the bedroom. If our stuff is going to sound like the pro's stuff, then compression and EQ has to be mastered. I can tell you've done some work on the drums, that's obvious. Now, just for a test, double every setting... go deeper on the threshold, more radical on the ratio, just be sure to not set your attack too fast or you will lose the transients on the hits. Then, pump up the make-up volume on those drum tracks. I'd compress the cymbals a bit, and add some sheen about 10k. A little extra thump around 100hz for the kick. Compress and EQ the bass a little, and you'll hear a slammin' track.

Peace!

~Shawn

The overall mix sounds pretty good except for the drums perhaps.

I like the song though...easy on the ears and kind of catchy as well.

I liked the song overall but the timing is off on a lot of it. The drummer tends to get ahead of himself on some of the fills. ( Its not a huge amount but just something that jumped out at me ) Could be a little tighter in the rhythm section.

I liked the song overall but the timing is off on a lot of it. The drummer tends to get ahead of himself on some of the fills. ( Its not a huge amount but just something that jumped out at me ) Could be a little tighter in the rhythm section.

Haha, ok, so it's not the mixing, it's the performance?

I think the bass guitar could be more driving and aggressive.

Vocals could use some doubling on the choruses and maybe some verb. A light high harmony could be nice too.

I think the bass guitar could be more driving and aggressive.

Vocals could use some doubling on the choruses and maybe some verb. A light high harmony could be nice too.

Bass is hard because the guy wasn't that good. I think the driving force it needs is to be played better. Instead it's pretty sloppy.

There are doubles on the choruses. :)

Back