some suggestions

Place the mic straight above the bridge pointed down and raise it anywhere from 1-5 ft untill you get the sound you like.

Hey Sipi!
I use the MK319. although I don't have a 012. The other mics I have are all Marshall's V67, 2003 and 2x603s. The 603s have been compared to the 012. But I don't think I'd say the 603s have an upfront sound.

I love the 319 on acoustic guitar and voice. It seems very smooth and natural to me. I always describe the sound as kind of dark compared to the rest of my mics. Twang is not in the vocabulary of the 319. But I also feel that the characteristics that give it that dark sound tend to not give it an upfront sound. The V67 and 2003 have more of an up front sound to me. I think those mics have a little bump up or slight bit more edge in the higher frequencies that give them their upfrontness.

So I guess what I'm saying is I'm not sure the 319 will do exactly what you are looking for. Lately I have been working with mixing the sounds of 2 or more mics to combine their seperate strenghts. Its like wine making, Merlot can be nice on its own but blend in a slight bit of Cabernet and now you're getting more complex and interesting wine! I think this might be the way I'd achieve getting the sound you're after.

Hope I've helped,
scodu

Don't ask me why, but I've had very little luck with micing acoustic with 1 MK012, but The factory matched cardioid stereo pair works great!? Conventional wisdom says use 1 omni, and I have omni capsules for the Oktavas, but the cardiod stereo pair has consistently yielded the best results.-Richie

I have a 219 (which is the 319's ugly identical parent) and 2 019's. An interesting thing I've notice with the 219 is that it sits in a mix real well compared to some other mics even though by itself it doesn't sound all that great. I give it a little 2db nudge @ 3800khz and it's a mic I'll use now and then.

thanks for everyone's input.the problem i am having is i was micing my acoustic with a sm-57 simply because that is all i had.i then ordered the rode nt-1 and it sounded to twangy almost like an electric guitar on clean.i just want upfont warm sound for around $200. any ideas?

thanks,
wayne

The Octavas (012's) are just that, warm, round, almost dark sounding mics. Depending on the guitar and tune, they can be perfect. The 319 is one of my very favorite vocal mics but it kind of blows on acoustic guitar (but I've used it on mandolin and liked it).

Back