Some RNC Questions...

ToR

hey all, considering getting dual RNC's in the funk logic rack from Atlas or Mercenary and have a few questions

1. I live in australia so will need a 240v power supply - could i just get the RNC's and pick up a 240v wall wart from radio shack or something down here... or do they need a specific FMR wall wart (coz i doubt atlas or mercenary have wall warts with australian shaped prongs)

2. Do you have to assemble the funk rack yourself or does it come already installed - if not, is it hard to do?

3. I want to have the inputs hooked up to a patch bay (Neutrik NYS-SPP-L) how does this work with balanced/unbalaced stuff in patch bays? most likely it would be coming out of a pre -> patchbay -> RNC

4. I was hoping to mult the outputs using a little splitter jack -> one to the sound card and one to the mixer for monitoring - does this affect signal quality / strength?

Cheers for any help

~T

Last edited:
1. Get the 240v version. Not sure about the plug but you you may need an adapter.

2. Probably, it's not hard.

3. It's not a big deal.

4. It will weaken the signal. Not recomended. Just monitor from the outputs on the soundcard.

I think mercenary sells 240v versions and the install to the tray is a walk in the park. I think you just need a screw driver for about 4 screws. Very easy.

TexRoadkill said:

4. It will weaken the signal. Not recomended. Just monitor from the outputs on the soundcard.

Can someone elaborate on this? does that apply to balanced as well or just unbalanced signals?

~T

It doesn't matter what type of cable it is. If you split it you are reducing the signal strength. It's pretty much the same principle as water pressure. How many hot showers can you run at once in a home?

The voltage in a split parallel circuit is the same as the non-split circuit. Using the water flow example is a misnomer... water being electrical current in the analogy. Line level devices are not current devices, so reduced current flow in a parallel circuit does not apply here.

The degradation comes from the reduced load impedance seen by the RNC. If the source impedance of mixer and sound card are sufficiently high enough, you will be fine.

Typically, you are looking for the load impedance to be 5x higher (minimum) than the source impedance. Using round numbers, if the RNC has a source impedance of 100 ohms, and the load is 500 ohms or higher, you are fine. RNC will spec the minimum load impedance, same as the mic manufacturers do.

If the sound card has a 10k input impedance, and so does the mixer, the total load impedance is 5k (parallel circuit). As long as this is higher than that required by the RNC, no problem. Their web site has a clipping spec for > 2K ohm load impedance.

ToR said:
1. I live in australia so will need a 240v power supply - could i just get the RNC's and pick up a 240v wall wart from radio shack or something down here... or do they need a specific FMR wall wart (coz i doubt atlas or mercenary have wall warts with australian shaped prongs)

Nope, we don't have a wall wart with Australian shaped prongs... but we do have some Aussie wall plugs hanging about and a female "Edison" connector to make an adapter... we could send you the parts for an additional $10USD [our cost +/-3db], or build you an adapter for like $20 USD [if you send us the wiring pinup for Australia... I know we have it somewhere, but I'm a lazy son of a bitch and don't feel like looking for it]

2. Do you have to assemble the funk rack yourself or does it come already installed - if not, is it hard to do?

We could assemble it for you... but it'll be safer in transit if you assemble it when you get it. It's really simple to do.

3. I want to have the inputs hooked up to a patch bay (Neutrik NYS-SPP-L) how does this work with balanced/unbalaced stuff in patch bays? most likely it would be coming out of a pre -> patchbay -> RNC

Depending on how your bay is wired... it should work fine... worst case scenario you might have to tie the "ring" on the bay jack to the "sleeve" on the bay jack on the RNC connection.

4. I was hoping to mult the outputs using a little splitter jack -> one to the sound card and one to the mixer for monitoring - does this affect signal quality / strength?

bgavin provided a most excellent answer... bottom line, give it a shot, if it sounds good... it is good...

I hope this is of some assistance

Back