some questions...

Basslord1124

Ok, I'll start with the easy one first: where exactly in Win 2K can I enable/disable items from starting up when the computer boots up? Ya know, Win 2K's version of msconfig which I'm so used to in Win 98? Does it have something to do with Task Manager?

Other question: How exactly do I get a 24 bit file out of CEP and Ntrack (Ntrack I am running version 3.0 and CEP I'm running version 1.2...yeah a little older so sue me :p )? I'm pretty sure I can but it's a matter of where it's at an what to do within the software.

Also my final question: do you all recommend saving wav files AND actual song projects on the other hard drive or just wav files only? Or does it really matter? :confused:

Thanks guys! ;)

Isn't 2k the same as XP ? Go to run>type msconfig>startup tab>uncheck boxes to disable.

I dont think CEP 1.2 will record 24 bit if thats what your asking.

The file to launch the song should remain within the recording program and the wave files only to your 2nd HD.

Sorry Stealtech, msconfig doesn't work. I want to think that with Win 95/98 you used msconfig but in Win 2K/XP you used something else. I monkeyed with it last night and it appears I do the startup thing from Task Manager...it's not as nice and layed out with check boxes like Win 98 but as long as I can disable programs and free up some memory I'll be ok I guess. If there is an actual other way of doing it with Win 2k let me know.

Not sure about the 24 bit in CEP...it almost appears like I can...I think I figured it out in Ntrack though.

Thanks, I'll start doing that from now on. I've been spending some time playing with my new system and I tended to store both song files as well as wav files on the 2nd hard drive.

other way...

I can tell you for sure that msconfig is alive and well in XP. I skipped straight from 98se to XP but I can almost guarantee one of the following things will work. I'm sure you know some of this already but I just want to be thorough.

Go to Start/Run/, type regedit and hit enter. You are not in the registry editor. Go to HKEY_Local_Machine > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Run.
In this run folder you should be able to see in line item form every application that runs at startup. If you know for a fact what a particular item is, you can delete it :).

An easier way that may or may not work is to go to the junk that loads down in your system tray, right click on the icon of the offending program and see if a menu comes up that allows you to close it out or tell it not to start at startup again. This automatically does the above registry stuff for you if it asks and you tell it not to come up again at startup.

Lastly, you may have an item in your startup folder on your start menu. You can go to your start menu and right click/delete items from the startup folder as you see fit.

You may also want to look around for win2000 tweaking tips that will show you what services you don't really need to speed your machine up some more. If there is a more specific problem let us know, there are plenty of capable computer gurus who can collectively answer probably any question..

dlv

Basslord1124 said:
Ok, I'll start with the easy one first: where exactly in Win 2K can I enable/disable items from starting up when the computer boots up? Ya know, Win 2K's version of msconfig which I'm so used to in Win 98? Does it have something to do with Task Manager?

Try this link: http://freewarehound.digitalrice.com/startup/

I have "Startup Control Panel 2.8" program installed on my Win2000 and it's better than msconfig.

Thanks muskgrave, I'll give that a try...I also found a site that has other tips on how to fix the startup thing...one even suggested getting the actual msconfig utility from Windows 98 and copying that to Win2K. Really it's not like I have a bunch of programs running in the background currently (I'm usually real anal with that and try to keep minimal programs from running at startup) and they haven't effected recording yet...I've only been doing about 4 or 5 track songs to get the hang of the software now. But it's better to know this stuff now so I don't suffer in the future. But anyways, thanks again. ;)

Back