Some questions regarding recording and mixing

jonbongjovi

Hi Guys,

So I've been working ITB with ableton for a couple years, got kind of sick of staring at a monitor and clicking a mouse as its a little too like my day job, and didnt really find it that inspiring. Plus I wanted to be able to play out/do live PAs when I get good enough.

So I went hardware, and very glad of it. My Rm1x now is my midi overmind, very pleased with the yamaha A4000 as a sampler (also has some cool effects), I find it better than the ableton sampler, alot easier to get creative with. Plus I've got a couple hardware synths (dsi mopho and nord lead) that I love. My desk is looking pretty crowded now and a rats nest of midi and audio cables.

Anyway got a cheapo wharfdale R-1604 mixer that I plugged everything into so that I didnt have to even turn my computer on. Hoorah!

So all was good for awhile and I made alot of progress with my workflow, tracks etc without the computer but now ... I want to record some stuff.. no problem I thought just plug the alt 3-4 outs from the mixer into my soundcard and then I can use software fx and even trigger vsts in ableton from my RM1x. So I've got this kind of weird hybrid setup.

Problem is now I can't seem to get any of my stuff recorded well all together. I can see the 3-4 outs in ableton but they always seem too quiet, or with alot of noise. I have the other outs on the sound card going to another channel on the mixer so i can hear the mix from the computer. I also use my A4000 as an effects unit so I have a send going into there.

The Rm1x can actually act as master over ableton and send some midi commands, but I can't seem to get everything recording together properly. Maybe I would be better of getting one of those integrated mackie universal control things? Its just annoying because I can play one take and it all sounds good but when i listen back to the recording its all wrong, maybe I've borked the routing on the mixer?

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Jon

Back