Some questions about putting this crap together.

Heifsin85

So I have a crap preamp and built in sound card to my mobo. horrable mix. so two days ago I bought a mixer and sound card:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/631229/
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/701376/

Ok, Ive never dealt with any pci sound card, just a little bit of firmware.
1q- Once I instal lthe sound card, what chords do I hook up to the mixer?
2q- My speakers are ones that use a headphone jack (goes into computer). Would i need to buy a headphone to 1/4 jack? Or could i make it so the sound still comes from the speakers hooked up to the computer?
3q-This is what I woudl like to do. Hook up my mixer to my sound card, record my keyboard with MIDI, record guitar, and record mic. I have plenty of guitar and mic chords, do I need anything else?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hmm, I read that page, and still no help. On that site, it seems that u hook up 1/4 inch chords from the mixer to the sound card, then 2 1/4 inch chords froom the sound card into the mixer. all i have on my sound card is 2 analog imputes ( mic jacks), and like 20 analog imputs, and outputs. I hooekd up the two mic chords to the mixer, and i can now record music (goes through mic, to mixer, to sound card), though while doing this, i can not hear anything. any ideas folks?

There really is no voodoo about the cabling. Figure out what output goes to what input, look at the connectors, go to the sotore and buy the cords that have that combination of connectors.

As far as monitoring your computer, make sure you assign the output of the software to the right output on your card, then connect that output to your monitors. (or mixer, whatever your monitoring chain is)

lol, u sure theres no voodoo? even if trying to figure out wut chords go to inputs and outputs, its not that. the only actual chords form the sound card that can fit into the mixer and the mic ones. im dieing guys, im dieing.

My question is why did you get mixer in the first place? You got enough I/O on the soundcard itself. You're better off going directly into the 1010. It's got mic-pres so you can hook up your mic to it directly, and most probably they're better than the ones on the Behri.

well the mixer was given to me though my brother in law, so i might as well hook it up :) . If soeone could just look at the two pictures from the links i provided above, and tell me wut goes where, that would mean a world of difference for me, thanks :)

you should have come on here and done a bit of research before laying down money on that stuff. if you really want to use the behringer thing (maybe you have a drumset or something and need 6 mics?) you can buy an xlr cable and connect the 2 xlr outputs of the mixer to the 2 inputs on the soundcard. if you're just gonna do one track at a time i'd plug it right into the delta.. simpler is always better in low end stuff, less of a chance for you to lose signal quality.
i never understand why people buy those delta cards. sure it has 10 inputs.. but they're fucking rca jacks. you end up wasting $40 extra bucks just buying adapters to go from whatever cable you have to rca. does it really cost that much more for a company to make a cheap soundcard with a bunch of 1/4 inputs?

treymonfauntre said:
you should have come on here and done a bit of research before laying down money on that stuff. if you really want to use the behringer thing (maybe you have a drumset or something and need 6 mics?) you can buy an xlr cable and connect the 2 xlr outputs of the mixer to the 2 inputs on the soundcard. if you're just gonna do one track at a time i'd plug it right into the delta.. simpler is always better in low end stuff, less of a chance for you to lose signal quality.
i never understand why people buy those delta cards. sure it has 10 inputs.. but they're fucking rca jacks. you end up wasting $40 extra bucks just buying adapters to go from whatever cable you have to rca. does it really cost that much more for a company to make a cheap soundcard with a bunch of 1/4 inputs?
right, i connected the two xlr cables from the sound card (the mic ones right), to the mixer, no adapters needed. and i can record things through the mixer. though when trying to hear my heardphones or speakers that are connected to the mixer, nuthing comes out. Is there anything else i need to hook in or need to buy an adapter? do i have to worry about al lthe red and white RCA analog input? but yes, i am recording my drummers drums and needd about 5 mics. btw, sorry for all the questions

You need to come out of the sound card output into a set of inputs on the mixer. Then you need to send those inputs to your monitors(or headphones)

i am officially the biggest idiot around. i went to my tv, took out the red white and yellow cables, and then hooked them up to my mixer and vwa la. please ban me for being such a dumbass

Well, there's the I use B minor and G chords a lot, but that's just me. ;)

With my 1010LT and Yamaha MG10/2, I use a Hosa RCA to 1/4" snake. The RCAs plug into the inputs of the 1010LT, and the 1/4" end goes into the insert jacks of the mixer (and some of the other buses where I don't have inserts). It's very simple.

I leave the XLR inputs of the Delta set to mic level so I can plug some Dynamic mics into those.

For the output, I just use RCA 1&2 with a cable that is RCA on one end and 1/8" on the other, which plugs into my monitor w/ speakers. This is until I can get proper monitors, but it does the job for me currently.

IMO, this is the best way to do it!

Heifsin85 said:
well the mixer was given to me though my brother in law, so i might as well hook it up :)
Sorry man, that's a bad reason (unless he's some burly guy who's feelings get hurt easily) :D

Kidding aside, you'd get better sound quality if you went directly into the card, and bypassing the mixer altogether. The only reason I'd use that mixer is as you say when you record your drummer, but even then, I'd still try to record the rest directly through the card. I'd avoid that mixer as much as I could (which I have, I don't have one) ;)

I'd keep the mixer out of your signal chain. Your just asking for more noise by doubling up preamps, especially Behringer and M-Audio. If you find your needs exceed the 10 or so inputs the card has you can send the mixer outs to one channel (or two...not sure if the M-Audio card has any stereo inputs) in the sound card. Also, if you keep it simple to start it will be a lot easier to get yourself up and running.

right,m but i also use 1/4 jack speakers and the only way i could use that with my sound card is through my mixer, correct?

No. You could use RCA to 1/4" cables or adapters. You can pick up either from your local music store. Really, that mixer is not necessary. Had it been another model (say a Mackie, Soundcraft, A&H etc), I would say, go right ahead man. But that Behri... you're better off leaving it out of the signal chain as much as you can.

Back