Some photos of my studio construction

Which is something that would have been great to think about 6 years ago when I started building, but it's way too late to think about that now. I'll treat it with bass traps and it'll be cool. Some people have much smaller control rooms than mine.

Nice Work!

SonicClang, looks frickin great! We've employed some of the same tactics and I'm impressed with the amount you gone done in just a week. I wish we had a solid week to spend on the shed! Keep the pics coming.

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
:confused: Can you clarify that statement? What property of sound vs 1500ft3 are you referring to?

Thank you... I thought I was the only confused one here. I thought my control room was a pretty ok size. Plus I've already been using it to record for almost two years and my mixes always sound pretty damn good.

ridgeback, yeah man I got a ton done in a week. It's been much slower since then, but I've been working down here every single chance I get. I do have more pictures that I'll post today. I stained and polyuerathaned the shelf and I've built another door.

Thank you... I thought I was the only confused one here.
The term "mature" is a misnomer. Ever heard deep bass in headphones? ;) However, he may be refering to a rooms RT-60, although even a small TILED bathroom can have a relatively long one. It is the decay rates of different frequencies that are important though. Hence bass trapping and broadband absorption being important in small rooms.

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
Hence bass trapping and broadband absorption being important in small rooms.

Which is exactly what I'm planning on doing anyway. Even if I had a bigger CR I'd still be doing those things.

We start again where we left off. Last time I posted pictures I had just finished the wooden shelf around the pole, but it wasn't stained and polyurethane yet. Here is the shelf after about three layers of poly.
001.jpg

I've since done a little bit more mudding on the drywall. This is really shaping up nicely.

Here's Pete after we had just put up the fourth to last ceiling tile on this half of the live room.
013.jpg

Third to last tile...
017.jpg

Second to last...
045.jpg

Now skip ahead to last weekend (4-15 and 4-16). My brother-in-law John came over again and our goal was to finish the ceiling in the live room.

Here's John cutting out one of the layers of OSB for a ceiling tile. It's a pretty cool shot with the saw dust flying all around and the perspective.
063.jpg

At this point we had gotten up all the removable ceiling tiles, so after 5 years I was finally able to deconstruct the roll around scaffolding I had constructed for the sole purpose of putting up the heavy tiles. It was an emotional moment, and John was sure to document it with plenty of pictures of me disassembling it.
069.jpg

074.jpg

This is the face of a guy who just worked over 16 hours straight.
079.jpg

Yeah, it was a little late for her to be up, but isn't she cute?!?!?!?! :D That's my niece Brianna. She didn't quite understand what daddy and I were doing downstairs.
083.jpg

We decided that after all that work to get the ceiling up, we wanted to see it lit. So we forged ahead getting the track lights up.
085.jpg

Can you tell I'm proud? mmm... beer...
087.jpg

A new day, a new goal. We had to finish the ceiling under the main HVAC trunk. Here's John constructing what will be screwed up.
089.jpg

Here's the first piece under the ducts.
091.jpg

Second peice.
092.jpg

Third... We were leaving the hard one for last.
094.jpg

And the ceiling is complete!!!!!!! It took over 4 years to do, but it's done now and I'll never have to do it again!!!!! :D
097.jpg

The kids were playing the piano upstairs as we were finishing up the ceiling, and with each panel put up we could hear the piano less and less. Now the only real sounds we can hear from upstairs is structure borne, like foot steps and stuff like that, but in a house like this it's more or less impossible to get rid of that. When people are talking up there you can’t really hear it. If we open the door coming into the studio you can hear everything being said. As soon as it’s closed, all you hear is muffled low frequencies. I’ve waited 6 years for this!!!

The construction still isn’t totally done though. The vocal room ceiling still needs finishing up, and I have some doors yet to install. But that’ll be another weekend and another round of pictures.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Your hard work is showing and it's lookin real good there Sonic. You even inspired me to tackle a door project in my studio, which has already taken two weekends.. Almost done though. I moved a door diagonally across a rear corner.. I'm going to start my own thread pretty quick and I'll post pics of it. Anyway, keep us posted Sonic. The pics are great too!

Thanks Rick. I love when someone else's work inspires someone else. It's even better when it's my work inspiring someone else! :D

You're making a door diagonal? Or did I understand you wrong? Either way, I can't wait to see the pictures.

I'll definitely keep you guys up to date on all happenings with pictures. I'm going to have Pete bring over all the pictures he took over the years and I'm going to scan them into my computer and I'll eventually post those, and I'll post some videos too! ohhhh videos!!! Cool!!!

That sucks. Well I made sure to buy a house with a basement big enough for a studio. When I was house shopping, the basement was the only thing I cared about.

SonicClang said:
That sucks. Well I made sure to buy a house with a basement big enough for a studio. When I was house shopping, the basement was the only thing I cared about.
Same here. :D

SonicClang,

Congrats on all you have accomplished.

I like what you did with your post. I have posts in my basement to deal with as well and I had already decided to enclose them as you did. And I want to insert XLR jacks and power outlets into the posts, but I really like the shelf idea.

I, too, will be allowing drinking in my studio because it will also double as a practice/live room and my band drinks.

This link goes to an old thread I started back in 2003 when I was “getting ready” to start my studio. Unfortunately my basement hasn’t changed much since the pictures but I have decided to move the studio area to the other side of the basement.

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=106244

I now have a wife who is nagging me to “stop talking about the damn studio and build it.” At this time I have this strong fear of committing to one plan and them regretting it later. But I guess I should get off my ass and build the damn thing!

John

TOO much booz..creates Stupid situations

SonicClang said:
I don't have a problem with drinks in my studio, I have a problem with stupid people in my studio. :)

My view is too much drink...can creat the stupid people you are referring to here.

I have a basement area just waiting to be fixed up. However should there be concern for humidity ...most basements have a high humidity and running a dehumidifer puts out unwanted sound to cover up, not to mention the expense they run up in electric bill, there just like having a small airconditioner on all the time. I would wonder if computer and recording equipment would suffer from that inviroment.
Choctaw

Last edited:
Back