Some new stuff (hard-rock/pop)

CharlesThomas

Finally got around to putting up three songs that will end up on my second solo CD later this Fall.

http://www.mp3.com/CharlesThomas

All three were mastered by Sonusman.

I play all instruments except drums and sing all vocals. The songs were recorded in my home studio on a Fostex D-160 hard disk recorder. If anyone has any technical questions, let me know and I'd be happy to answer them.

Please check it out if you're so inclined! Thanks for any comments. You guys have always been very helpful.

Great song writing!

Very hooky chrouses and good arrangements; nice harmonies...I like your voice.

I would like to know some more details behind your recording and mixing process. What equipment, effects, etc.? How dramatic was the change from the pre-master to the mastered versions? What was the most dramatic change?

How did you record the bass? I like the tone.

Nice job!

>I would like to know some more details behind your recording and mixing process. What equipment, effects, etc.?

As I said, D-160 hard disk recorder. Recording and mixing was done on a Yamaha 24/10 "live" console. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's what was available. It actually wasn't bad. It had a nice, musical EQ. Vocals were (unfortunately) tracked using the NT1 which had far too much sibilance for my taste, and ran into an ART Tube-Pac preamp. Guitars were done with early 70's Fender tube amps into Celestion Vintage 30'-loaded Ampeg 4x12's and miced with SM57's. Effects were PCM-80 for drums, Midiverb and Quadraverb for vocals. I used a Behringer Composer here and there during recording and mixdown to keep levels in check.

>How dramatic was the change from the pre-master to the mastered versions? What was the most dramatic change?

Umm... in terms of volume it was pretty dramatic. What I loved about Sonusman's mastering job was that the "feel" of the unmastered mixes came across well.... like he did just the bare minimum to punch it up and make it louder without ruining the sonic experience I had mixed. Of course, getting that as the final product involves doing a LOT and knowing how to do it well, so don't get the impression he didn't do a lot. He just made it SOUND like he didn't do a lot. And that's the best kind of mastering job.

>How did you record the bass? I like the tone.

Crappy $300 Ibanez bass into the clean channel of a 1970 Fender Bassman 100 amp into 12" speakers miced with an SM57. A little Behringer Composer to keep levels managed. Again, I wouldn't recommend it, but that's what was available.;)

hi,

I listened to dragging your anchor-studio version.

The intro sounded good.

Nice song.

I can only say, the whole thing sounded very middy, especially the guitars.

Other than that, it sounded great.

The guitars sound fairly thick/dense in places (Dragging Your Anchor). Were the rythym parts doubled/tripled?

Very tight performance - no "wasted" notes. The harmonic fills were interesting.

Charles

I listened to the first 3 tunes on the page. Musically, I liked the last 2 much more than the first tune. I originally thought the whole recording was middy and light but then when I cranked it, it really sounded good, I have know idea how much of it can be attributed to the recording and how much to the mastering but between the 2 of you, it came out pretty good. Anyway, I thought the last 2 tracks had some nice stuff going on and dug em

Ray J

>The guitars sound fairly thick/dense in places (Dragging Your Anchor).
>Were the rythym parts doubled/tripled?

Double-tracked, then panned left/right. I've always been able to pretty exactly duplicate my rhythm parts, so I put it to use that way. I like the way it fills out the sonic landscape when you do that.

Some songs from that session (e.g. "Where You Belong" at http://www.mp3.com/HotterThanKarl) would be three separate guitar parts panned left, right and center. But most of the songs are two rhythm tracks panned left/right.

Of course, there's a solo and an acoustic on "Dragging" as well, but I'm talking about the rhythm guitars. :)

I never even told Charles exactly what I did in mastering these songs.....:D

I doubt most would believe it anyway. It just sounds too crazy, and would make Bob Lugwig wince! LOL......

Indeed, the volume is much louder, and there is much more appearent low end in the post mastered mixes. I sure wish I had kept the original digital transfers from the DAT tapes on the hard drive to illustrate the difference. Wanna send a tape back to me Charles so I can post the pre-mastered mix? Not a problem either way.

Damn, haven't listened to any of your stuff for a couple months now. I am still impressed with the songwriting and performances! I surely hope someone with some clout in the biz hears some of this and contacts you for a potential deal of some type!

Ed

CharlesThomas...

Nice job... the songs sound nice and tight. Good hooks and good chordal movements.

Ed.. do tell... what did you do that would shock Mr. Ludwig ;-)

V.E.

Back