Some new songs of mine, 'easy' listen (not rap / metal / new age)

Joepie

Hey guys,

I've had a couple of new songs on my soundclick page for a while, but I haven't put them up for critique yet. Hope you guys would like to take a listen. 'Once for the time around' is the latest, I'm kinda proud of my little Hammond-riff (god bless soft synths) but the top 5 orso are all new, so fire away. Thanks,

Joepie

edit: forgot to add the link ;)

www.soundclick.com/6x12music

No apologies necessary :D

Once for the Time Around.....man this sounds familiar.....but can't nail it down....that's a good thing though...means it's a hit!

Not being familiar with soft synths - the keyboards sound like they're being played "live" - are they?

Like the way you have the set the backing synths on this - sit really nice.

The guitar solo has a great tone ot it - what are you using?

The main keyboard riff seems to have a bit of distortion on it - gives it a guitar - type edge to it......

Catchy and groovin' - lyrics are a bit melancholy (lol) especially when you compare it to the up beat tempo.....(lol)

Cool ! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Thanks for the feedback, Ido.

The song has only 4 chords, so it's bound to sound like something....

The keyboards are being played live and my timing's a little off... I'm still deciding if I like it this way... it does make it sound less 'computerized' but it's not musically perfect, I agree

My Guitar tone is:
epiphone les paul --> marshall JTM tube combo (w/ full reverb) --> shure sm57
then I added a little digital flanger effect and some compression

Tnx

Joepie

Once for the ...
I like the key sound. It reminds me of a clav used in lots of Bob marley's stuff.
The vocals are little wobbly but endearingly so. Might be worth working on them though.
The lyrics and melody are good.
Nice work

Ray, Thanks for listening

I know my singing isn't the greatest in the world, but glad you like the melody and vocals.

Anyone care to comment on the mix? I'm just starting in the homerecording scene, so also looking for some feedback on that. Maybe some of the other songs?

Thanks again

Well, here I am listening to The Morning Shows. Coz that's a great title.

All sounds very well recorded.

What do YOU think of this tune?

Because it shows potential. But I'd echo the line "you've got to find your style". It sounds a bit lost. I'm sure you could do something with this. It actually even sounds as if you weren't sure this song was complete when you were singing it.

What's your take?

Ciao
aspiring

aspriring,

thanks for your response. I am a little confused what song you were talking about 'the morning shows' is one of my songs, but the line 'you've got to find your style' is from another song of mine, called 'today, tomorrow'. I assume you're talking about the latter.

I agree that it's lacking something... a hook, maybe another bridge or some progression of the sort. I've been playing around with it for a few years now but every time I add another instrument or an extra part to the song, it kinda loses some of it's serenity, which is just the thing I love about this tune. Adding drums or an extra guitar just makes it more... busy, and less pure. See what I mean?

Joepie

Hey Joepie

Better late than never...

You're right.. somehow I've clicked on the wrong song! The Morning Shows is a great song. I was listening to Today, Tomorrow.

I guess it sounds a bit too morbid. Perhaps the melody needs a bit of a rewrite. The descending sequence gives it its depression.

I think this might be one song that could benefit from what I call the Radiohead Treatment. I'm gonna try that on some of my songs. Have a listen to the late Bitpop style: Radiohead, Feeder, Muse, even Coldplay to see what I mean. They can sing whiney depressing lyrics (and even falsetto them) alongside noise and modern sounds and make hits.

I think the key thing to remember is that, although songs can be, and often are, personal expressions, song are for the listener. And if the listener is somebody else (hopefully), you've really got to step in their ears and objectively say: "Is this interesting/exciting/making me want to listen? Or does it just sound like a self indulgent artist singing and playing for himself.

My partner is a great critic. She often says to me "that song is just not interesting to listen to", and she is usually right.

Anyway,
Have fun.
aspiring

Back