Some new songs for you guys to critique - Guitar-based pop stuff

Joepie

Well, here goes...

I just posted my first two songs on Soundclick. I have to say they sound a little fuller when played in Sonar, but I guess that's because of the low bitrate soundclick uses. I don't have any decent monitors, these sound ok (to me, at least) on my hifi speakers, but I'm curious what you guys think.
Not just of the mix, but the music in general. Lemme know. TIA

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandid=492377

Last edited:
Hi Joepie

I listened to Each and Every. Some really interesting stuff going on there. Lots of neat sounds and ideas.

For me: I'm not sure they all sit together well. Maybe too many ideas for one song? Eg. when it starts I thought it was a blues-style guitar song with no vox. Which is OK. That's some nice guitar. Then the bass funks up and I'm expecting something different again. Then the Vox start, and I like it, but would prefer that style with less busy guitars etc. So I'm not sure if this really works for me.

The mix in general sounds Ok except the rhythm guitar stabs are a bit loud for my crap work set-up.

So good work. But maybe could do with someone else telling you to hold back occassionally. I always have someone who does that for me when my imagination starts getting too wild.

Thanks for the listen
aspiring

aspiring said:
Hi Joepie

So good work. But maybe could do with someone else telling you to hold back occassionally. I always have someone who does that for me when my imagination starts getting too wild.

aspiring

LOL, you make a very good point. I guess the 'holding back' and 'less is more' aspects of songwriting aren't my best side. Thanks for the feedback. I'm a little surprised you don't like the vox with the funky guitar on Each and Every... I thought it was a nice combination. I guess it's a personal thing.

Cheers

Joepie said:
Well, here goes...

I just posted my first two songs on Soundclick. I have to say they sound a little fuller when played in Sonar, but I guess that's because of the low bitrate soundclick uses. I don't have any decent monitors, these sound ok (to me, at least) on my hifi speakers, but I'm curious what you guys think.
Not just of the mix, but the music in general. Lemme know. TIA

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandid=492377

Are you from PA? The reason I ask is a couple years ago a friend gave me a cd a friend of his had recorded. This sounds exactly like it.
The name of the cd was,...ummm,..."from within and beyond",..or something like that. There was a big music note on the cover.

Anyway,..listened to both tunes,..this isnt what I usually listen to but I have nothing against this kind of music,..but I couldnt really get into it too much. I was thinking though that with not too much of a re-write,..this could be some good stoner music.

Take 'er easy,..
Calwood

Calwood said:
Are you from PA? The reason I ask is a couple years ago a friend gave me a cd a friend of his had recorded. This sounds exactly like it.

I was thinking though that with not too much of a re-write,..this could be some good stoner music.

Take 'er easy,..
Calwood

Nah, I'm from Europe, not PA. But i'd like to hear your friend's music, if u know what I mean. Also, not too sure what's your definition of 'stoner music'. For now I'll take it as a compliment :) thanks for the feedback.

Very long intro on the first tune and I agree that there is a lot of stuff going on in the tune. Although it is very clean sounding, it never sounded "together." Each part could be heard very well, but they didn't seem to gel. The vocal sounded like you would be singing directly into the listener's ear...if that's what you were going for, good job with that (not my cup of tea, however).

You could probably make three tunes out of that one!

Cheers for that. I wasn't especially going for the vocals-in-the-ear, but I guess I could add some reverb to push them back a bit. Also, when you say things don't 'sit together' are you talking about the parts of the song, or the different instruments?

The instrument parts. Each is very clean but instead of sounding like they are working together, they sound very "distant" from each other. Not distant in a proximity kind of way, more like if a band was playing that tune and each member was in a different room playing along to a click. All the parts are right, just not together. I know that's weird.

The vocals arn't that great. No force in them and it's too up front. Add some reverb. I thought the guitar parts were pretty cool. Especially the main guitar hook.

Heading Home - almost a Moody Blues feel to it vocally/songwriting which is very good. This is a good pop song. Cool "wah" on the lead guitar. Good harmonies - interesting how you used low instead of high harmonies. I really enjoyed this one!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to listen. This is really helping me out. I do all my writing/recording alone, so it's nice to get some fresh ears. Keep em coming...

Back