Some General Mic Information. Hope It Helps Out The Beginners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well put, thanks. A relatively new member with a HUGE commercial sig dropping a post of dubious intent smacks of spam. I guess it's too subtle for all to grasp though, even though it screamed out to me.

Whatever.

I guess ljmaxx is exactly the type of user he's targetting.

Timothy Lawler said:
It's a matter of degree. And the perception of established membership... post count, people knowing you, etc. Certainly not a black and white thing. Speaking only for myself.

A two inch tall commercial sig from a brand new member is pretty different than the situation of someone like mshil or DavidK. And then there's apl... :eek:

Tim

But you forgot to specifically specify that phantom power not only charges the capacitor, but also actually powers the internal pre-amp. That's why ECMs still need phantom power.

fraserhutch said:
I guess ljmaxx is exactly the type of user he's targetting.

You da man dude! Oh and for what it's worth I've been into recording and music since the late 70's. I may not have 2500 post's on HR for those of you who think post count is like senority but then again I don't hang out in the cave.

I don't think Karma is targeting me either. I already own three of Karma's Mics which is a K58, K55, and a K6 which were purchased 6 months ago. But I also have these in my mic locker too.

Soundelux U195
Blue Baby Bottle
Blue Blueberry
Blue Dragonfly
Rode NTK
Rode NT1A
Neumann TLM103
SE H3500
ADK Hamburg (Matched Set)
Oktava MKL2500
Cad E300
Cad E200
Cad M37
Stedman N90 x2
SP C1
MXL V67G
Royer121
AT4050
AT4033
Neumann KLM184 x2
Crown CM700 x2
Sennheiser 421
AT 4051 x2
AKG C430 x2
Earthworks QTC1's (matched set)
Shure SM57 x4
Shure SM58 x2
EV 757B x2
EV408B's x3
EV RE20

I'm not looking to get into a flame war with anyone on HR so at this point I'm going to say that I'll have to agree to disagree with some of you and leave it at that. :)

EddieRay said:
Technically, it's not spam... Advertising one's services or products, outright solicitation, or even acting as a shill, while they may be ethically questionable, are not the same as spam.
True. It wasn't technically spam. In its original form it was simply "spam-ish". How's that? :p

Just curious... did you see the original post before it was changed?

Tim

Last edited:
ljmaxx said:
Soundelux U195
Blue Baby Bottle
Blue Blueberry
Blue Dragonfly
Rode NTK
Rode NT1A
Neumann TLM103
SE H3500
ADK Hamburg (Matched Set)
Oktava MKL2500
Cad E300
Cad E200
Cad M37
Stedman N90 x2
SP C1
MXL V67G
Royer121
AT4050
AT4033
Neumann KLM184 x2
Crown CM700 x2
Sennheiser 421
AT 4051 x2
AKG C430 x2
Earthworks QTC1's (matched set)
Shure SM57 x4
Shure SM58 x2
EV 757B x2
EV408B's x3
EV RE20

I'm not looking to get into a flame war with anyone on HR so at this point I'm going to say that I'll have to agree to disagree with some of you and leave it at that. :)
Nice mic locker. I agree about flaming. Best to keep it civil. It's an interesting subject though, the grey area between outright spam and tasteful self promotion. An important thing I think since so many of us make money doing music.

Tim

ljmaxx said:
I may not have 2500 post's on HR for those of you who think post count is like senority but then again I don't hang out in the cave.

The Cave, sir, is capitalized, and posts there don't count.

Timothy Lawler said:
True. It wasn't technically spam. In it's original form it was simply "spam-ish". How's that? :p

Just curious... did you see the original post before it was changed?

Tim

Yup. And my first thought was that a new user has just registered in order to try to swing some business his way. Only time will tell on that matter. My second thought was that someone will surely jump in and call it spam. That didn't take long.

Like I said, it isn't spam in the traditional sense of the word and I don't think it is or was spam-ish-like. But just because it ain't spam doesn't make it okay.

Reactions: XLR
Definitions of words carry local usage, eg, in the south giving someone a ride is termed "carrying." Spam, here, means posting with the intent of creating a solicitation for business, and it is commonly understood.

apl said:
The Cave, sir, is capitalized, and posts there don't count.
Well now, in the interest of compete disclosure, posts in The Cave used to count, and a lot of the old timers with huge post counts did get some of those from The Cave.

Don't shoot the messenger!

And what made the initial post spam was the incredibly prominent signature proclaiming Karma to be the manager of new market development for his firm. Had he had a more modest link it is more than likely no one would have objected.

'Tis a fine line we walk indeed.

apl said:
Definitions of words carry local usage, eg, in the south giving someone a ride is termed "carrying." Spam, here, means posting with the intent of creating a solicitation for business, and it is commonly understood.

I have noticed that but I just thought it was a internet newbie thing. Years ago my friends would tell me they have the internet on their computer and ask me for my web site address so they could send me email. That's who I think of when I see someone call this kind of post "spam". Not to be argumentative, but maybe it's more accurate to call it a common misunderstanding.

Um, I have been involved in the internet for over 15 years - I don't think I qualify as an internet newbie.

And I am aware of the definition you quoted of spam, but in many internet circles innapropriate commercial posting is also referred to as spam. In fact, if you think about it, it is spam in the same sense, except that it uses a pull rather than pull delivery mechanism.

EddieRay said:
I have noticed that but I just thought it was a internet newbie thing. Years ago my friends would tell me they have the internet on their computer and ask me for my web site address so they could send me email. That's who I think of when I see someone call this kind of post "spam". Not to be argumentative, but maybe it's more accurate to call it a common misunderstanding.

fraserhutch said:
Um, I have been involved in the internet for over 15 years - I don't think I qualify as an internet newbie.

And I am aware of the definition you quoted of spam, but in many internet circles innapropriate commercial posting is also referred to as spam.

Um, me too. I never saw "inappropriate commercial posting" in any definition of spam. You'd think by now that might have happened. Maybe one day "spam" will mean anything you don't happen to like about the internet.

To everyone,

I was just offering some information to people that may not have known it. It was not ment to be intended as anything else.

I do not understand why all of you can not just let some one inform facts about stuff to educate people. Some or all of you may know everything I wrote on here, but I have gotten quite a few PM's saying thanks for the information and they learned something they either did not know or was not sure about. This is a forum and it is here to educate people. That is what I was doing trying to help educate beginners that did not know alot about this field.

I am closing this thread as it seems that not one person on here has posted any basic mic information to help educate newbies to the recording field.

That was my intentions was to start a thread that will help people. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back