some eq/overall drum questions.....

nascentjunkie

alright, i have been doing the whole home recording thing for a little while now... ya know whatever, anyway, i'm starting to find that my drum tracks tend to sound odd in the area of the kick drum/snare. They sound almost roomy i guess... But anyway i guess maybe this is more of a room question, haha. Alright, so now is there anything in my room that i can use to fix this. I can't quite explain what the sound is though... Its just weird. It could be that most people i record have terrible drum heads... Well i think i'm just looking for some inspiration here, because i was think of trying like some bass diffusers and stuff. Because it sounds dark roomy, not like space roomy. its weird! Alright any cooments apprciated. ~Andrew

How about some more info, on the room -are you doing any treatment -and is it just killing the highs? How are you micing?
You know dull drums in the room =dull drums too.
Wayne

Mixsit makes a good point. What are you doing as far as EQ? For me, my problems get resolved through that, but again, it may be a bunch of other things. What do you mean by 'bass diffusers.' If what you mean is dampening, try Evans EMAD. I have it on my kick and it gives it a very punchy sound. It all depends on the the type of sound you're looking for... and I don't know what that is :)

Back