Some Blues & Rap Projects

If anyone is interested here are some of the projects I completed recently:

SANDY DEVINE:
Can you believe this chick is white and in her early 20's? Instruments recorded live in a single take in the same room. Vocals overdubbed immediately after. Whole thing took less than 4 hours. The cool thing about this was one guitarist had an old school JTM45 and the other a Fender Twin... the guitar sounds were excellent.

JASON SHERWOOD:
This came together in a single 8 hour session. The drummer was phenomenal with this 1962 Gretch drum kit with real skin heads. Amazing tone! Unfortunately this is getting partially re-tracked this Sunday to sound *more* like Stevie Ray Vaughn. Personally I prefer the rawer Telecaster Thinline > Tube Screamer > Fender Twin sound we got on this recording. Excellent band.

PLANET BASS:
Sort of an annoying song but one of the few non-gangsta rap, kill cops type of hip hop songs I've come across in a little while. Dude brought his Mo'Phatt right in the studio to rip the music off of, and dropped his lyrics on it in about 2 hours. Gave it a one hour mix. Pretty straightforward and easy like most rap.

Blues song was cool. Just think it needs more volume on the bass. And she does sing her ass off.

Guitar tones kick ass on the second song. Especially on the lead, you captured a great sound. Overall fun little ditty.

Rap song is way cool. One of the few polished rappers I've heard in a long time. Great timing and vocalization. He got talent.

First one....Kicks ass...Nuff said.

Second...Stevie meets some local dude, and they play nicely with each other. I love the guitar tone. Very cool. Vocals sit nicely in the mix. Every instrument seems to have a very good spot to sit. Drums sound very good. Natural. Cymbal is spot on. I like the ring it has. Awesome voice.

Third...Nice sounds. Voice is clear. Could be a bit more up in the mix, but I can make out what he's saying, so that just might be a personal preference.

Good job on all three, but the first one is way too cool.
Ed

Thanks for the positive input!

Funny enough, on #2 I dialed up the guitar tone because the guy complained his tone always sounds too "hair metal." I had to introduce him to the concept of virtually no preamp gain, and tons of power tube distortion.

I had the Fender Twin on "10." :) It was SUPER loud... I had to pad the AKG 414 on the room mic because I was getting serious overload.

Tonally it was a super simple setup: Telecaster Thinline, to reissue 808 Tube Screamer to a Fender Twin. Lots of mids. Bass on 0, treble around 6, and a slight rolloff on the 808's tone knob (level max, gain around 5%).

I have a death metal band that's almost done mixing that is pretty out there I would like to share as well.

Megaman said:
Blues song was cool. Just think it needs more volume on the bass. And she does sing her ass off.

The group wanted a more subdued bass so the vocal could stay upfront, but still keep the two guitarists in front as well... so something had to go back a little.

I should pull out some of the Shirley King (BB King's daughter) stuff I did.... I'm not sure if I'm supposed to though.

Back