Some advice for a beginner?

GoetzManor

Hey all,

Ok, so I have my "studio" set up in one of the rooms of my apartment (pics below) and I was just wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to better improve the 'sound of the room'.

Here's the catch, since this is one of the bigger areas of my apartment, most gatherings involve us congregating in there. My wife hates the fact that I have my equipment all over the place in that room. I do want to start taking music production seriously and I want to build some Roxul sound baffles. Since I can't mount them on the walls, I was thinking about building four of them and placing them behind me when I record and mix. Since it's just one room I do all my tracking and mixing in the same area, not ideal I know, but it's the only room I have available right now. Also, since the desk is in a corner it is not ideal either, but once again, trying to make the best of a bad situation. Does anyone have any advice on how to 'discreetly' treat the room (ie: baffles I can put in the closet when not in use)?

Also looking at the pictures I just took, my monitors are completely uneven which may also be contributing to my bad mixes. Hmmm.... Should the monitors be next to the computer monitor or spaced out and angled inwards, similar to the way I have them now?

Thanks for all your considerations!

IMG_0473.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG

First thing I would advise would be to get out of the corner. It's the worst possible place to set up your monitors/desk.

Your monitors should be pointing at you, not almost at each other. If possible, set up along a short wall so that the speakers fire down the length of the room.

You definitely are on the right track if you're thinking about building traps. You can never have too many. Start by placing them in the 4 corners.

^^^ What Rami says.

But it is difficult to recommend anything when we can only see one corner of the room. Knowing the layout of the rest of the room would help.

About this: "My wife hates the fact that I have my equipment all over the place in that room."

Your wife might be more sympathetic if you were to be a bit tidier. Clean up a bit; get those books and the lamp off the floor, and get your area (even if it is only temporary) looking more business-like.

Thanks for the responses. On a side note, we are thinking about moving to another place if we can't find a roommate. As it turns out, one of the places we are looking at used to be a funeral home. It was my wife's idea to turn the basement/prep area into a studio.

I kinda like the thought of being able to say "yeah, my house was a funeral home. Oh, you wanna record? Come down to the basement...(Cue sinister music)" Also, coming up with an appropriate name like Elegant Demise Studios might be fun as well.

Back