Solutions for Metal Vocals (IE: screaming)

layneness

I produce a lot of my friends bands, varying in genres from anarcho-hop (a fance term for my two self proclaimed anarchist friends who do hip hop music), to indie, to acoustic, to metal. I also play a lot of metal myself, and am putting together a project in the near future that involved my friend on vocals, basically doing screaming/growling/whatever you'd like to call it.

At my disposal, I have an SM57, a Shure Beta 52, and an ADK A-51 Condenser Mic (ADK is a local company near where I live). What would be a few good set-ups to try? I haven't seen too many interesting set-ups apart from the traditional standing in front of the mic and letting it rip, except for one set up that Between the Buried and Me did, where Tommy (their vocalist) used a dynamic mic (assuming a SM58) but had a condenser mic in the vocal booth with him.

Also, would there be any other microphones worth investigating? Ones that bring out the complete tone in a good ole fashioned scream without overmodulating or sounding like complete nonsense (which I know a lot of people assume screaming is, and anyone who loves heavier genres of music know this isn't the truth)?

Thanks!

use ur sm57 through a decent pre, and maybe have the condenser a bit far behind it to get it and the room noise.

Any mic you have listed there will work fine. I've used a D6, SM57, V67g, Baby Bottle, GT57, and a 990 for screaming metal vocals and all did the job just fine. Really just depends on who's in front of the mic. Some guys were too loud for the condensers, and others sounded just right in front of one.

Another vote for the Beyer Soundstar MK II.

Actually, Harvey, I'll give you full credit for this one as I first heard about it from you many years ago on another audio forum -- maybe RAP. Subsequently snagged one on e-bay and it worked beautifully.:D

Back