Solid body acoustics

I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with any solid body acoustics. I have a Taylor 614ce that I love the unplugged sound of, but in all honesty, the Expression System is just horrible. I'd rather not modify the guitar, so I'm looking at other live options such as the solid bodies. I had the opportunity to play a Gibson Chet Atkins SST and liked it fairly well, but was wondering what other opinions are. Thanks!

Godin is the other common one. They make a very nice guitar, by the way, but their electronics can SOMETIMES be a bit fussy (which is something you've probably experienced with the ES on your Taylor). I don't see nearly as many Godins with problems as ES Taylors, but there are fewer Godins out there. And getting warranty repair parts for Godin is a pain. But for the most part, they are very nice guitars.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

sile2001 said:
I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with any solid body acoustics. I have a Taylor 614ce that I love the unplugged sound of, but in all honesty, the Expression System is just horrible. I'd rather not modify the guitar, so I'm looking at other live options such as the solid bodies. I had the opportunity to play a Gibson Chet Atkins SST and liked it fairly well, but was wondering what other opinions are. Thanks!

Solid body acoustic guitar? Is there such an animal?

Light said:
but their electronics can SOMETIMES be a bit fussy (which is something you've probably experienced with the ES on your Taylor)
Beyond fussy! I lead a contemporary-styled worship service at our church, and at our last practice the sound guy had to play around with the EQ on my guitar channel for the better part of 45 minutes to get a sound that was even usable! It just does not fit in well in band.

its very odd because my church uses a Taylor 714 and the tone is very clean and open (just like the guitar) and we leave the board flat most of the time and have no problems with it at all. now i guess that the only thing i can say is that i am not even a Taylor fan and i don't even own one any more but... i think its a matter of taste i like the idea of the ES pickup system a lot...

there's a luthier here in orlando that builds an amazing solid body acoustic. but they run pretty expesive ($2500-3000).

I haven't been too fond of the ES system either. The idea behind it is thoughtful but taylor just doesn't have the technology to pull it off. I almost wish my T5 came with a piezo in the bridge rather than the ES system.

you could always consider getting your taylor retrofitted with the fishman blender. I've got an older 514ce with the fishman and it sounds great on stage.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how that could be done without leaving 2 sets of controls on the guitar (doubt other controls could be modified to use the ES knobs), and what to do with the endpin jack, since it has the battery compartment molded into it.

philboyd studge said:
Yep, I find my Variax acoustic right handy sometimes for both recording and live work.......and you can get really loud.

Yes, but is it truly an acoustic guitar? Could you sit around a campfire and play (and hear) it?

sile2001 said:
Yeah, I was trying to figure out how that could be done without leaving 2 sets of controls on the guitar (doubt other controls could be modified to use the ES knobs), and what to do with the endpin jack, since it has the battery compartment molded into it.

Well, you don't need to have a whole in the side of the guitar for the Blender, particularly now that they have the Elipse Blender out there. But the endpin jack is a big problem. There just is not a good way for us to fill it. We are going to have to figure it out one of these days soon though, because a lot of people have been complaining about the ES system, partially because of the sound (crappy), but mostly because it is more than a little bit unreliable. We have fix WAY too many of them. They are a major PITA from that point of view.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I really just want to sell it and get something else. Either another Taylor 614 but with no electronics (so I could add the L.R. Baggs iMix), or a solid body acoustic. Anyone have any experience with Tom Anderson guitars? I was looking at the Crowdster and it seems pretty nice, but expensive and a little hard to get. I liked the sound of it at the David Crowder (for whom the guitar is named) concerts I went to and supposedly it was used on their latest album as well, but there's no telling how much of what I heard is the guitar and how much is other stuff in the signal chain.

Back