Solenksis SV-315 Compressor

ste20man

Hi all.

I'm still a noob to home recording so I'd like to ask a question if that's ok.

I've just got a Solenksis SV-315 Compressor and the read-out (the box on the left) has values going from -50 to 0db.

The thing I don't understand is that the values go both horizontal and vertical. Why are there 2 sets of numbers (horizontal and vertical) ?

I could be missing something really obvious but for me it is a really hard compressor to get a grip of.

I'd appreciate any help, the manual is below.

http://www.sonalksis.com/downloads/user_guides/SV-315Mk2 Compressor.pdf

Thanks, Ste.

Stick with it.
I know it's weird at first, but when you understand a compressor, that kind of readout can be incredibly helpful.

The vertical scale shows the output level, (volume after compression) and the horizontal shows input level (before compression).

When there's no compression, this is the same thing, so the signal will show like it would on a vu (if it's a real time display), except it'll go diagonally if that makes sense.
-40 = -40
-15 = -15
-10 = -10.
etc

The point of this is to give you a visual representation of your threshold and ratio when you set them, and your reduction amount.

The first picture in the manual shows a threshold of -30db and i can tell that because that's the point on the graph where the direct correlation breaks.
Anything above that threshold is reduced by the ratio.

You can tell it's a 2:1 ratio because where the signal reads -10db on the horizontal input axis (20db over the threshold), it actually reads -20 on the vertical output axis (10b over the threshold).

For every 2db over, it's been reduced by 1.
-40 = -40
-30 = -30
but above the threshold
-20 = -10
0 = -15
etc.

Think that's right.

Btw. i know the threshold says -23.8 on the dial, but having the knee set at 7db softens the transition and effectively extends the threshold a bit.

Last edited:
Hi steinamaroo.

I think I get it a bit better. The visual is to show you where the compressor kicks in and then how it behaves after, and the gauge underneath shows how much gain reduction there is at that time. It looks pretty useful and intuitive now.

As you seem to know what you're doing :-) can I ask one more question?

I understand the limiter but can you tell me what a side-chain is and when and what you would use one for?

I've read the manual but I just don't get it. If you could help I'd appreciate it, cheers, Ste.

Sidechaining's a handy thing to have.

I suppose the simplest way to look at it is to take a compressor.

It doesn't 'kick in' unless the audio on that track goes above your set threshold.
Consider that audio to be your trigger then.

So, imagine you have a solid synth and you want it to duck in volume a little every time the kick drum plays.

You'd want a compressor to be on the synth, but you'd want the kick drum track to be the trigger?

So, you set up a bus and send the kick drum to it,
then you put a compressor on the synth and look for an option that lets you set an input, or a 'key input'.

Select your kick drum buss as the key input, then adjust the threshold and ratio until you like what you hear.

Every time the kick plays, it triggers the compressor which ducks the synth.

Again, a real time visual display makes it very easy to see exactly what's going on.

Thanks, that was really good straight forward info, really appreciate it.

Gonna put the info into practice! :)

Can I ask one last noob question?

When you personally use different compressors, do you hear different sounds or colors?

I am beginning to use a waves C1 comp and the Solenksis SV-315 Comp but am not sure I can hear any difference when I put them on a clean guitar for instance. Do you think that it is just my ears? Should be able to hear different colors?

I'm not sure how using the compressor, which turns down peaks would make a difference to the actual sound of the track?

Thanks for helping me out, Ste.

No problem. Glad to help.

I don't know if i'd say i hear different colours.

I've only really used digidesign compressors and the waves stuff though, so i probably don't have much basis for comparison.

Yeah, it's a strange one really. I have read that some compressors are 'better' and have a sound of their own. I just wonder how people can get different vibe from sound reduction if you know what I mean. Maybe each compressor changes the frequencies in some way.

I want to say thanks for helping me out, really helped, cheers, Ste.

Just realised I made a mistake here.

Where i said "For every 2db over, it's been reduced by 1"
I should have said "For every 2db over, it's been reduced to 1"

All the examples still work the same; It happens to have the same outcome for a 2:1 ratio, but say it was 4:1?

If the input goes over the threshold bt 4db, the output will only be 1db over.
If the input goes over by 8db, and the output will only be 2db over.

So 2:1 is much more gentle than 20:1 for example.

Back